Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

How much is it to ask? is it refundable if the issue is not…

How much is it...

How much is it to ask? is it refundable if the issue is not fix?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2004 sl55 amg

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I had a flat tire with no warning. find out no TPMS. installed new TPMS (AMERICA'S Tire just like my 2003 sl500 and it works) but can't find or set tire's sensor. seems to me last owner had it deactivate. I hooked my scanner and can read every tpms on that matches the serial number of each tpms and tell me I have low air and I did have a low air. is that dealer need to activate?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked your tire pressure? Do you have a tire gauge?

Yes I have set it to normal air pressure

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If I have the dealer wiped all my software and reinstall it, would the tpms will be program back? since it will be cheaper for just to reinstall the software?

3/22/2018
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

May I have your vin to check to see if your model was equipped with tpms?

also what kind of scanner do you have?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I'm using icarsoft. It reads all my tpms w/ serial number, tells me fault for low air on front left and sudden air pressure change rear right. In short I know my reciever works I just can't reset it. Did all the step but can't find where to reset tpms on cluster. Looks like previous owner deactivate it.

ok thanks, ***** ***** check the vin, if you can read sensors than you have it,ill check anyways but im certain you do if not you wouldnt be able to lol

give me a few moments.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I believed it's standard cause I used to have 03 now I got 04

ok yes you do have option 475 tpms high line

to see if you have the reset use the menu buttons on the left side of the dash,

the squares select forward or back in different menu screens and the arrows move up and down pages in the menu screens.

and yes it was standard for a few years due to federal law.

let me see which page exactly the reset should be in.

ok on the home screen where it shows the odometer and the speed or outside temp just press the up arrow to cycle through and it should show the tpms and also the service due time or mileage and also oil level check. if you dont see the tpms then someone did recode the cluster to show NO tpms, if that is the case all a dealer needs to do is go back into the cluster and switch it back to yes.

Lou

the icarsoft is a great scanner but the one thing it lacks is the ability to code and change setting or activate things :(

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
What scanner should I get? So I can do it myself
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
That's guaranteed to reactivate my tpms? Plug and play ? Rodeo for the suspension? MB only and no other cars? I was checking on it and just glanced on it says no software
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Btw...is the unit get updated for the newer MB models? If I want to wipe all my software on my SL can I reload the original software for it using the unit you recommended?

let me address those

yes that scanner is the exact thing we use in the dealer.

yes plug and play

yes rodeo, EVERYTHING the dealer can do with the exception of updating software because you need access to mercedes servers and i think that company can help you with that on a as needed basis.

read it thoroughly it does come with the software.

for updates you would need to purchase the newer cds as they come available from this company.

you cannot wipe any software and reload, that is not a function anyone can perform that i am aware of, there is a difference in the coding i am speaking of and the software. with the scanner you can add and change options in modules. never have we needed to wipe any software, the only time that is done is when we updated modules,. so the scanner has the capability of updating software but you wouldnt have access to the servers to perform this without contacting the company.

hope that answers that.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
If I take my car to the dealer and tell them to wipe old software and reinstall with newer update...would the tpms will reactivate?

it doesnt work that way

not with the instrument cluster. in your year there were no software updates.

it really didnt start getting crazy with update-able software until 2006 ish and not all modules. now in the cars every module is update-able.

the only thing they can do is go to coding and change the tpms coding to yes.

but they have to make sure they change the right code or else you will still have issues.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The unit I'm about to get will give all the code I need or just plug and play that I plug it in and just reactivate or put yes or no along whatever the issue maybe

yes, this scanner will allow you to do that.

it is as easy as setting up settings on your phone lol

i can walk you through it as well.

here is a video i made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOrkG0FYVDo&t=239s

it will show you how easy it is to navigate the modules.

when the time comes i can walk you through the coding as well.

Lou

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back. If you feel I have earned one, BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED, Thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
2018 MB Star C5 diagnostic-tool with 2017.12 newest HDD/SDD +x200 laptop DHLfound this on ebay...what you think?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Full Chip V2017.09 Software HDD MB STAR C4 MB SD Connect Compact 4 Diagnostic Tool with WIFI Function For Mercedes Benz Car & Truck
amazon $649
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
the one you recommend earlier is from china and shipping is costly except from amazon (most of them are china and shipping is over 110)

the one that i recommended is because that is where i got mine and the people that i help. i cannot comment on the others as i have never worked with them.

sorry

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Decided not to buy one. Went to MB authorized shop got the tpms activated where I can actually see the menu. Problem is the flat tire symbol won't show. Remove cluster if I can see if light are burned but I can't tear it down more before I cost more damage. The number on the cluster is the actual pressure? Going home from the shop a warning something like tpms inactive. What's that mean?
Did the symbol ever light up when you just turned the key on ? When the cluster performs its bulb check?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Everything came on except the flat tire symbol. Was it done right?
I have to check to see if we use a tire symbol in usa in this model. The fact that you see tire pressures means its working , i can tell you the tire pressure is way too high, for your model it should be like 26/28 or close but i know its in the 20’s . The sticker on the fuel door or door jamb is what we set them to.
Correct looks like you are close to the sticker pressures. 5psi higher or lower and it will say to check pressures. Pressure will increase with tire temp and outside temp and decrease just the same.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
How about the flat tire symbol not showing
I will have to check the owners manual and the mercedes wis to see if its on this model. I cant remember if it is or not. Pretty sure all models had it but i want to see it in writing. I wont be a ke to do that until the morning
Just found a pic in the owners manual and there is No small icon for the tire monitor. It will show up in the left digital display as well as the right when there is a pressure issue . If you want to test this and have access to a air compressor, lower one wheel more then 5psi and drive it and the warning should come on.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Can you check the engine symbol too? For the spark plug, what type of plug you recommend?
There is no engine symbom just says check engine and for the spark plug i recommend you go get them from the dealer. The aftermarket ones are not made as well as the oem ones with the benz symbol on them
Usually ngk
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Oh ok. Is it true that if i change the transmission fluid and filter MB star tool has to be connected to reset the memory?
My man, i feel i am being taken advantage of now .
No there is no reason to reset the oil life counter. There is a oil life counter but we were never told why and it has never caused a issue. I would be shocked if any newer tech even knew what you meant by that lol. I am including a screen shot of what you will see in the dash for a tpms warning . Please take a second and rate me 5 stars in the top right corner of the chat if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Thanks for choosing just answer! Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Don't worry bro I got you...I'm talking about transmission fluid not engine oil.
Haha, my man, we are on the same page. There is a TRANSMISSION oil life counter that counts up. I was NOT referring to engine oil. We are on the same page.
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
How to add tip? Did I pay?
Good morning, yes once you rated me i was paid :) thank you. As for bonus you can add if you would like at the top right of the screen i believe. Have a good weekend and keep me in mind if you need something in the future. Lou
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Gave you 50%. On the transmission fluid change it's a BS to be reset? I was told computer keep the memory how the pressure and ho w I used it heavy or not. Thanks bro
Appreciate it man! So what you are talking about is our trans adaptation. We only do that when there is a shift complaint or a part inside the trans is replaced. Otherwise we dont mess with it
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I see cause I have a 2003 sl500 before and changed fluid, conductor plate and plug adapter due to limp mode. After that take awhile to shift back. Changing conductor plate should have it reset?
Ahh so in order to get out of limp mode you need a scanner that can read the trans module to reset the fault code or else limp mode will keep happening. But no for the conductor plate you dont have to reset adaptations. Only when replacing the valve body and or internal trans parts like clutches and drums .
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Oh ok thanks for the help
For sure man, please let me know if you need anything else. Stay away from youtube and forums lol, very few reliable sources can be found. Have a good weekend . Hope i was helpful
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician