Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Lou.. Lou.. last month i switched to the Mobil 1 0W-40.. and…

Lou.. hi..) Lou.. last month i...
Lou.. hi..)
Lou.. last month i switched to the Mobil 1 0W-40.. and its past about 1500 miles.. and my oil consumption is 1.5 qt .. I guess Mobil 1 evaporating more quickly than Pennzoil Platinum.. last year you mention that it could be valve seals or scratched cylinders walls?
Lou what are symptoms of bad valve seals ..?
3/21/2018
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
Usually when you have bad valve seals there will be a little puff of smoke out of the tailpipe when you first start the car in the morning
Thank you Lou....

no problem.

changing oil doesnt cause excess consumption, it means that the oil that was being used is not correct and now that the correct oil is being used it is showing problems that were being hidden.

are you seeing smoke on the tailpipe?

one thing i would suggest is to NOT use any additives as they only cause more issues.

how has the car been doing for you?

Lou.. no.. I haven't notice any smoke ...maybe I didn't pay attention... next time I will..check that...
Lou.. the car meets my needs ...) I am glad that I have 4matic .. this winter we had few snow storms in Upstate New York.... drive in snow like tank) I planning to keep long time this car ... until wheels fall off... )
Lou how much cost to replace valve seals at the Dealer? For both sides?

haha, alex DO NOT LET WHEELS FALL OFF haha

ouch for valve seals looking at like 800$ minimum

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Thanks Lou...

anytime alex.

glad you are happy with the car.

Lou

Lou.. yes I do see smoke coming out form the pipe ... it continues about 15 -20 sec after start a and than disappear.....
Guys been telling me that I should avoid any Oil that has high ZDDP rating ...otherwise it will damaged the Catalytic converter.. since it's burning oil.. and I been told to use some different oil like 10w-40...
I can assume then that you have leaking valve stem seals. I have no idea about this zddp rating. Anything besides fuel will destroy a cat over time. The rule of thumb is 1 quart of oil in 1 thousand miles is ok for consumption. However in the real world that is too excessive to us techs. So you may want to have a shop do a oil consumption test if you feel you are using a lot of oil.
Lou.. Thank you.. so much..
O and ZDDP is a Zinc in oil ..anti wear material..)
Catalytic converter sensitive to that...