Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am told that my electrical problems are a result of mouse…

Customer Question
I am told that...

I am told that my electrical problems are a result of mouse infestation in the dashboard of my 2007 (2006), 5-cyl. LeisureTravel "B", 158", Sprinter van.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on?

Probably since the winter of 2008. It has been suggested that the wiring harness may have to be replaced. We experienced an internal electrical fire back in 2009, but thought it was just a malfunction. The 'buss bar' had to be replaced and the refrigerator has not worked adequately since.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Just notified of the mouse problem. Talked with another owner who had similar difficulties in my area, though most of his problems were in the engine compartment & the water pump area of his freshwater tank. He got rid of his 2005 for a newer 2015 LeisureTravel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that I've experienced less than acceptable service from two of the Portland area's larger service shops; vehicle is now @ Custom MB Sprinters on 101st Ave., Portland, OR.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mercedes
We are concerned about safety of vehicle due to possible fire if wires are in fact not working property. Not presently are some dashboard lights, radio, and refer. Advice needed as to repair possibilities and possible repair costs.
3/21/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 3 months ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Without seeing it I can not say for sure but its most likely possible for someone to find and repair all the damage if its not too extensive. For me I would probably start you with a budget of 500 and tear into it and do my best to get it all fixed up for that and most likely succeed. Your other option is to just replace the dash wiring harness but that wont replace all the pigtails from sensors and motors and all that so it could still include a bunch of repairs depending on where all the damage is. If you ask me you are better off just fixing it... especially if you havent changed the parking spot cause its likely to happen again. The mice will find the warm... not much you can do about that except try your best to repel them... especially on a vehicle that sits.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. THanks

Thank you.

No problem. Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. THanks