Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 2006 r350 it's making knocking noise on the right…

Customer Question
I have 2006 r350...

I have 2006 r350 it's making knocking noise on the right front

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It sounds like from front right side

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your R350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I do

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Replacing balance shaft

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercedes
3/21/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Is this a knocking noise in the engine and what engine speeds does it occur?

Does it go away when the engine warms up?

Let me know,thanks Pete

it's on the in the engine any speed all the time
it's 272 engine r350 2006

And you have already replaced the balance shaft is this correct and was it replaced to try and correct this issue?

Has anything else been checked or replaced to try and locate the fault?

just balance shaft kit
no chain
it's making noise in bank 1 cylinder side no fault codes
sounds like front of the engine

One common component I have seen cause this type of noise here is the timing chain tensioner.It is located on the right front side of the engine itself.It is mechanical and hydraulic and usually, it is the hydraulic part that fails causing it to loosen up slightly not putting enough tension on the chain and causes the knocking noise your hearing.Without seeing the vehicle I cannot pinpoint this for sure myself but this is most common.If the balance shaft was replaced and the tensioner was not set this can also cause this fault.Below is the procedure on how to properly install it.If this was done I would obtain a new one and replace it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mj989v2von1y1y/ten-03-21.pdf?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

I put new tensioner

Did the noise only happen after you replaced the balance shaft and tensioner or was this an issue before and after?

was be for but sounds like in all front
now only in right side

Have you removed the engine drive belt temporarily to run the engine to see if the noise still occurs from there?

same thing

Was the timing chain inspected as well as chain guides at all?

they looks good

I know I had seen one case where the engine oil pump itself was causing this noise and I had to replace the pump.I have also seen the crank shaft bearings worn causing this issue as well with the bearings needing to be replaced.I would have the bearings inspected to see if they are worn out needing to be replaced for this issue here.This would be the first thing to do.

If they are o.k. it is possible the engine oil pump itself needs to be replaced.

I did some research on this here and the most common cause besides the chain or chain tensioner and balance shaft was worn crank bearings.

Thanks Pete

ok

I hope this can help you get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete