Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Replaced rear air bag because one blew out not the rear will…

Replaced rear air bag...

Replaced rear air bag because one blew out not the rear will not air up

Mechanic's Assistant: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2009 GL 550

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 550 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes it a customer of mine and I'm not familiar with Mercedes air suspension

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I replaced all struts about 3 months ago, has been doing fine since other than the bag that failed was leaking down everynight but aired up fine every morning

3/21/2018
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
Can you tell me if the compressor comes on at all when you start the car
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it does, the front suspension works fine , you can hear the comp run to level front
OK that is good so the most common problem is that if you removed your rear level sensor bracket it may not have went on back the same way that it should did you remove the sensor or the bracket or the arm at all
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
noi removed tire and removed rear bags front top without removing any arms are level sensor
OK have you inspected them at all to see if the airbag is still in the correct position and it didn’t come out sideways
Also in this model the engine hood and all the doors must be closed before the caramel level itself out it’s a safety belt and that’s how it should work so let’s try that as well
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
air bags are in correct and both rear level sensors are in correct place with leveling arms where the are supposed to be
sorry I meant car will level and also it’s a safety built into the car
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have had all doors/hood closed with vehicle running for a hour at a time still nothing
OK does the dash ever say airmatic visit workshop
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it came in with left rear bag not holding air but right rear was at right postion,with air in it I had to let bleed out to replace with new bag
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no dash does not say that
Ok good that means that the car shokld raise it . So did you try this? Get in car close door start it up and press the raise button to see if it will raise up and pump will come on?
Fyi i asking all these to get a better understanding of what is happening. These are super easy to diagnose just tricky to see what is happening overall
Also how long does the pump run? And does the dash ever say pump cooling down?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can hear comp come on , front does raise but rear doesnt
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
never seen pump cooling on dash
Ok are you a shop?
Is the whole car on the ground?and not on a rack?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did replace the bags on a rack , but now it is on all four on ground
Do you have a scan tool that can read Mercedes and the suspension control module just curious
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no codes, it did have a history code of I belive was c150c but no codes active
What I would like you to do next is take off the mainline to the pump put your finger over it jumped the pump so it runs and see if it builds a lot of pressure these things should build upwards of 200 psi I’m starting to think you have a faulty pump the reason the front would raise is because you also have a storage tank that holds excess pressure
Awesome if you have a scan tool we can read the pressure that the pump is putting out so let’s look at the scan tool and see what pressure it’s putting out that’s easier than taking the line off
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok give me just minute to get connected
From everything you’re telling me there’s no reason the car should not raise unless the pump is not building correct pressure or the lines are leaking which are extremely rare or you have a faulty new bag
The only tricky part is that sometimes depending on the scanner the system will not function as normal because it’s a diagnosis mode FYI
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
223 is pressure
OK can your scanner perform activations let’s manually raise the rear and see if it does
Also can you tell me the voltage on the rear sensors
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
left rear 1.53 right rear .51
OK and what is the physical level of the left side and right side
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
left rear 31 3/4 right rear 30 1/2 inches from floor to center of wheel well
Can you perform activations with your scanner let’s see if we can manually raise the rear
Switching from phone to laptop ill be right back
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
when i demand right rear level valve on the compressor comes on in short burst but rear did not come up

ok, i am back,

what kind of scanner do you have?

and what happens if you do the left rear? or front?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
mac scanner and it does the same thing on all four corners

ok and nothing changes as far as level then?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no

if you have the option to lower the car , lets lower the front , I am assuming that the front is raised up like normal but the rear is down on the ground.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the front is level where it should be, i do not that option

weird, you have raise but not lower?

ok, hmmm, man this is a good one.

ok can you send me a picture of the rear level sensors, i want to see them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
actually i don't have a option for raise its just a option to cut on and off i belive
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
send cell number to my cell number and i will send pics or email address

ok, sent over a phone offer if interested

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
send again and i will accept
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician