Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My ques. is does a gear shift selector have to be coded by…

Customer Question
Good evening. My...

Good evening. My ques. is does a gear shift selector have to be coded by the dealer on a 2004 ML 350? And if it does not have to be coded, will a used one work? Customer spilled a full glass of water into shifter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

I don't know. Just found lots of water at gear shift selector.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 Mercedes?

ML 350, year is 2004'

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

We found a faulty gear shift selector due to water spillage. Just need to know if coding is required and if not would used gear shift selector work?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercedes
3/21/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 4 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

the gear shifter in this model is part of the antitheft/ drive authorization/ immobilizer system and needs to be ordered per vin and installed and coded by a dealer, a used one will not work.

sorry this is the only way.

hope this helps.

Lou

Please take a second and click the STARS at the top of the screen to rate my service 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful , rating is just as important to me as your issue is to you. Please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again ,
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech

Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 3 months ago

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back. If you feel I have earned one, BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED, Thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified