Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I recently bought a 2015 S550 with 22K miles. I notice a…

Hello, I recently...

Hello, I recently bought a 2015 S550 with 22K miles. I notice a tickling/cricket like noise at low speed (RPM 1000-2500). I brought it to the Mercedes dealer and was told that this normal due to high pressure fuel injection. Is this true? I couldn't believe that in a luxury car like the S class that Mercedes would allow a noise like this to exist. I also have a 2014 E550 with none of this noise (not sure if they are the same engine. What's your thought? Thank you.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No problem with fuel economy. Starting same as usual.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S550 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet since the dealer said it was 'normal'

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's about it

3/20/2018
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Unfortunately the injectors on this model can make this noise and is considered normal.Another component that will also cause this noise is the purge solenoid.It ticks when it is on which is usually on quite a bit with the engine running.These components are the most common to cause this noise issue here and unfortunately replacing any components wont correct it or keep it from occuring.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

thank you for your reply. I just wanted to confirm that the dealer is right in telling me that it's normal. Do you know if the newer model 2016 or later has the same problem?

Your welcome

The newer models will have the same noise due to the high pressure fuel system unfortunately and the purge solenoid tick has been an on going complaint with Mercedes models for some time.It all is operating properly but unfortunately can develop the louder tick or has it when new and as long as there are no running issues with it then it is considered normal.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
You mentioned that " can develop the louder tick or has it when new". Does the tick tend to get LESS noisy when the car is older?

I apologize for the delay

Some models are less noisy when new than others.Some can get a little louder like your hearing on yours but it shouldn't get to be any worse.

Thanks Pete