Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

96sl 500 car starts then it doesn’t turn over. I notice the…

Customer Question
96sl 500 car...

96sl 500 car starts then it doesn’t turn over. I notice the psat few days it wasn’t starting without turning the key 2 or 3 times the starter is about a year old

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes can turn the steering wheel it is the original key

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

1996 sl500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SL500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No way do you know a mobile mechanic in the bay areas

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Engine was rebuilt about a year ago

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercedes
3/20/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 1 month ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
Are you saying at times the starter will not crank the engine? Or the starter always cranks the engine but the engine does not fire ? Turn over to me means the starter is cranking the engine
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The starter always crank but the engine doesn’t fire

ok, first thing we need to do is verify that you have fuel pressure.

there is a pressure test port on the fuel rail,. its under a 15mm cap

MB Paul
MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician