Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 ml320 no start - original problem was a no start and…

Customer Question
1999 ml320 no start -...
1999 ml320 no start - original problem was a no start and turning the key to the crank position the ignition would stick in the crank position and you would have to manually turn the key off - when key was stuck it would continually crank until returns to the run position.when to move the car into a garage the next day and is startedreplaced the ignition switch and again a no startchecked and found no power to fuel relay - jumped relay and pressure at fuel railborrowed a snap on ethos and found code p1570 code will not clear or returns right after key onchecked wiring from immobilizer to aam all ok . checked resistance across pins 11 and 12 conector a at ecm - spec is 115 to 125 ohms - mine read 119 ohms. (info via Mitchel pro demand)checked power at ign switch and found no power at the Key sense wire (orange wire)BACK GROUND INFORMATION : I installed a Remote starter installed 5 months ago - had some issues with the keys not working when using two transponder rings - ended up using only the original transponder ring and one rfid chips hidden in the dash.what issues will no power to the key sense wire cause?will starting the car with the doors locked cause and issue - i.e. antitheft armed then started ?for the p1570 code do you have a diagnostic flow chart ?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mercedes
3/20/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 3 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

what module did you get that code from?
this is a difficult one, i will try and help but you have a few things that are questionable.

so the more info you can tell me the better.

the P1570 is from the engine control module - i.e. selection engine section on the scan tool not the body section

ok, that would explain why the code is not in the mercedes database.

what kind of scanner are you using?

also I forgot to add the reason for no power to the key sense wire is the pin inside the steering lock assembly is worn and not contacting the center pin on the ignition switch. so when the key is in the ignition no power - no chime when door is open and key in the ignition.
it is a snap on ethos - read and clear codes only
P1570 I believe the description was communication error between DAS and ECM

checking again in the system, its a little complicated on our end to get to the fault codes

ok found the code, same page.

so we need to go to the values of the engine module and look under start authorization and see if the start authorization is a yes or no

Lou
I am not at the vehicle and need to borrow the scan tool so would no be back at the Car until the weekend.I do remember that all three key show as valid ( I think key 4 , 5 and 6 )I don't remember seeing a start authorization reading.

ok, so in order to know what module is not allowing the start we need to check those values in the EAM or AAM and ME module

i dont think the shifter matters on this model i will get you the start auth diagram.

these are the hardest to diagnose in person let alone online so i can only help so much before we need the dealer scan tool.

so in the end i would appreciate a positive rating for my time.

Lou

here is one doc

some additional info.

Lou

thanks Lou
in the first document it doesn't not mention the interaction between the extended activity module or the drive authorization control module.can you send a description of operation for the Das and also a wire diagram for the AAM , ME , EAM , DASis there a diagnostic flow chart fo the P1570 code ?

in this early model you do not have the eam.

that is why it is not in the document. i am checking the flow chart for the code now. and i cannot send a diagram for all those. there are way too many

i would have to do an email offer to email them to you.

and it would take time to gather all of them.

LouIn the second set of documents you sent it shows how to remove the das from the eam??? What is the purpose of this document if I don’t have an eam?Where is the das located and can you send a wire diagram for that?

i sent it with all the other info i had, if you look at the top is says as of, that number is ***** last of the vin serial number.

i probably should not have sent it.

it only is adding to the confusion my apologies.

so my sds does not show this code.

so i cannot get the test steps, i am trying everything i can.

but all documents that lead to this code show me other models.

these ML stink when it comes to this man, the info is so hard to find. its the only model like this.

i am trying .

ok i got a decent diagram. hang tight.

we can check the power and ground at the transponder connection at least

circuit 30 is battery power, 15's are all key on power, 31 is ground.

this just hit me

what issues will no power to the key sense wire cause?

you asked this in the beginning.

is there only one orange wire? i have to check the ignition switch diagram this circuit 15c is what turns the transponder on.

looks like it should get power when cranking position and then back to run.

lets verify this ?!?!?!

and also apply power to it when cranking or key on?

also does the key lock and unlock the car? see if your friend can learn the keys all you need to do is turn the key to on, remove the key, hold down unlock and press lock 5 times and it should relearn. lets see if that works, some models you need to do this with the aam and scan tool, the old ones like you got you can just do it alone.

i think the answer was in front of us the whole time,

the orange wire with no power.

lets give it power.

see what happens.

i have to go .

have a good night, i will respond if i can.

Lou

key relearn

LouDoesn’t the transponder get power from the aam ? All wires from the transponder go to the aam , I did check these wires originally. Also doesn’t the aam get power from the ingnition switch through an ign wire not the key sense wire. I believe the ign ( key on wire to pin a10 at the aam provides power ,I did check this as well. )The key programming you provided is for the door lock unlock function and is in the owners manual. Isn’t the door lock unlock part of the separate anti theft system and not part of the imobilizer system? ( the rfid chip in the key fob is on its own and not part of the circuit board for the lock unlock functions )What I am not sure of is if there is a separate das module , where it is located or wiring to the module if it exists. I also don’t know all peramiters that will set the p1570 code I.e diagnostic flow chart.
We dont have a key sense function. Did you not see the diagram
I sent over showing the items in the das system? You stated there is no power on the orange wire, looking at this diagram we need power on this orange wire. I was concerned about the key locking and unlocking because it can possibly help in diagnosis. Sounds like you are pretty much telling me i am wasting my time here by trying to get you as much info as i can. There is no separate das module on your year. If there was i would have shown you. There are no test steps for the code you have other than to check the live data in the engine module and aam for drive authorizations. We ate flying blind without a scan tool and 2 keys at this point. Im doing everything i can but i cant spend hours on this issue without knowing what is happening on your end.