Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Mercedes GL450 Vin # 4JGBF71EX8A305842. There…

I have a 2008 Mercedes...
I have a 2008 Mercedes GL450 Vin # 4JGBF71EX8A305842. There is loud clunking noise when the transmission is placed in reverse and upon deceleration. Could the problem be in the front drive shaft or possibly in the transmission it's self ? The car has 170,000 miles.Thanks
Steve Jacovetti
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is no trouble codes.
3/19/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Can you duplicate the noise by just going from Reverse to Drive with your foot firmly on the brake and sitting still? giving it about 1/4 throttle in reverse, then about 1/4 throttle in drive? (A stall test) If so, it's likely either engine mounts or transmission mount, or possibly the center support mount in the rear driveshaft that may be loose or broken. The engine shouldn't move much, pop the hood and watch the engine when you stall test it, if it moves alot, it's another sign engine mounts are broken

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have the car here right now but holding the brake firmly and moving from reverse to drive it did does not make any noise, but I was not giving it any throttle.

Alright, See if you can duplicate by doing that. If you can, then I believe the problem is likely what I stated, either engine mounts, or possibly the carrier bearing in the rear driveshaft. The U joints themselves may be worn as well, if you get a metallic high pitch pop or ping, sometimes that is a U joint that has gotten loose. Those are the most common things that will give this symptom. If you can't isolate it that way, then it may be best to raise the vehicle up on a lift or 4 jackstands, and drive the vehicle in the air while under it listening to the transfer case, front and rear differentials with a stethoscope or long handled screwdriver held to your ear. then you can get someone in the vehicle to drive it , while listening to the front and rear differentials, and the transfer case and isolate it that way. I believe you'll find it's either the mounts, carrier bearing or u joints. If you can't duplicate it with the vehicle sitting still stall testing though, then it may be necessary to operate the vehicle on a lift to find it. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The noise seemed to me is coming from the front of the vehicle. Could the front differential mount also be a possible problem?

Yes, it is possible, first thing is make sure all the mounting bolts are tight. Then grab the pinion flange, where the front driveshaft bolts up to the front dif, and see if you can move it by hand up or down any, it should be tight with no free play at all. Also check the front sway bar links, they pop when they start to wear, but usually you notice that noise more on bumpy roads.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help !!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Edward,The front driveshaft where it bolts to the transfer case has alot of play in it. You can move it up and down by hand and it creates a knocking noise. Where the front driveshaft bolts to the differential there is no play at all. Would it be safe to say that this is the problem?
Is there a bearing or u joint inside the sealed coupler ends of the driveshaft that is the cause of for the free play.Thanks,
Stevel
The transfer case flange that the driveshaft bolts to doesn't move up and down by hand correct? It's just the driveshaft?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's just the driveshaft.
Alrighy, this is sometimes referred to as the propeller shaft as well. I recommend calling a localndriveshaft speciality shop if you have one in your area and just double checking with them and see if they rebuilt these, if not, then you'll have to put the whole driveshaft in it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The driveshaft and the transfer case are marked with a white line where they bolt together. When installing the new driveshaft will it have any alignment marks on it to align with the marks on the transfer case and the differential? Or does it matter since the driveshaft is new?
It will not matter, it should be balanced and ready to go.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your help !!!
Absolutely. Thank you and best wishes.
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician