Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 2011 C300, the drivers seat will not move. Not one…

Hello, I have an...

Hello, I have an 2011 C300, the drivers seat will not move. Not one part of the seat will move. not up and down, forward and back, and the back rest will not move. I have a blown 30A fuse. I replaced it and tried the seat and nothing happened except another blown fuse. the seat is all of the way back and in its lowest position. could a wire be pinched?

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Mine only has one in the enigine compartment and one in the truck

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. All I have done is looked at all fuses and replaced the one blown 30A

3/18/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

if you are keep blowing the 30 AMP fuse, you either have short at the seat motor connector or the seat motor itself is shorted out and needs replacement

can you get to the seat motor to check

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Complaint

1. Noises when operating electric seat fore/aft adjustment

2. Electric fore/aft adjustment nonfunctional

3. Adjustment is biased to one side, which bends the seat frame

Cause

1. Frictional vibrations along fore/aft adjustment shaft

2. Motor detached owing to mechanical damage to electric motor retaining plate caused by the customer

3. One side of the seat adjustment drive shaft has come out

I will do the work myself. How do I remove the seat cushion to look at the wires and motor? I had no noises and no issue until I mover the seat all the way back and down yesterday
No thank you

click on link to view the wiring circuit ,I highlighted in yellow the 30 amp fuse , is this one keeps blowing ?

\

Seat Cushion RR

we take the seat out and inspected on outside

loosen the bolts holding ,u can tilt it and work on it also

My fuse box in the truck does not have a 44 or 45. it has 42, 43 but yes one of the two 30A fuse continues to blow

depending on options u have be different box

but that complaint on the issues ,applies here, u had same symptom:

Complaint

Cause

Seat removal

un plug motor and reinstall a fuse ,DOES IT STILL BLOWS ?

Which wire is the main? I do not want to unplug the air bag. I am guessing it is the large yellow connector.

YES ,ONLY TIME U UNPLUG YELLOW CONNECTORS, BATTERY HAVE TO BE DISCONNECTED AND WAIT 5 MINUTES BEFOR UNPLUGGIN BUT U HAVE NO BUSINESS WITH YELLOW CONNECTOR UNLESS U HAVE TO UNPLUG IT TO GET TO THE OTHERS THEN U DISCONNECT BATTERY AND WORK ON IT OUTSIDE ,FROM EXPERIENCE TAKE THE SEAT BOLT LOOSE MAKE IT EASIER ON YOU ,DO NOT TOUCH ANY YELLOW ONES

THE ONE U WANT WILL BE PLUGGED INTO A SEAT MOTOR ,WE HAVE SEVRAL DOWN THERE ,SO DO IT ONE BY ONE AND SEE

I MYSELF TAKE THE FRONT BOLT COMPLETELY OUT THEN I LOOSEN REAR AND TILT SEAT BACK AND STICK A ROD TO KEEP IT UP,TURN ON MY BACK AND WORK ON IT :)

THE WIRING CIRCUIT THAT UI SENT YOU IS COLORED

DEPENDING ON WHICH MOTOR IS CAUSING IT ,UNFORTUNATELY I CAN NOT TELL YOU WHICH ONE SINCE I M NOT THERE ,BUT WHEN YOU FIND THE MOTOR THAT STOP THE FUSE FROM BLOWING THEN YOU CAN LOOK AT DIAGRAM AND SEE WHICH WIRE ,IF U ARE TRYING TO TEST FROM BEHIND CONNECTOR .

TO TIGHT U NEED SEAT LOOSE OR OUT , BUT ITS UP TO YOU IF U CAN DO IT DIFFERENT WAY GO FOR IT

i can not get to the rear bolts. the seat is moved all of the way back and in its lowest position. So i will need to just loosen the two screws under the front of the cushion to tip it forward?

YES CORRECT

I know man i m sorry ,it is a sticky issue m but u can do it be patient and look around before u work of what ur steps are

I dont want to take up time. It sounds like it is either the wire or wires pinched or the motor. Is this correct?

if you have power probe II, you can apply power to the motor that moves it forward and see if you can bump it forward, not always works if motor completely failed

it could be the wires pinched especially if u said it is to the max position but also could be the motor or connector ,you have to test it

But to do this I will need to get the cushion up correct!

I have seen pinched wire and wires touching you are correct

no all work from buttom , no cushion removal

No cushion removal? the how do i get to the motor? I cant even get my hand under the seat

you said you can get front bolt out correct ,have u done that yet

I can get to the front and no I have not done anything yet. I was just getting information. How do I reach you if i should still have issues in an hour or so?

sure no problem we can continue anytime ,read below how

I m on and off today, but reply back and wait on me ,usually respond back with in 15 minutes

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Chad Farhat
Heres something I thought of. yesterday when I was moving the seat back I was in a hurry so I was also pushing a little with my legs to move back faster. but I was able to adjust up and down for a second. could I have gone back a little to far?
Sorry, I gave you 5 stars and then it disconnected us. Do you think I damaged something by assisting the seat with my legs?
Also do you know what size the star bolt is? I will need to go get this socket.

well if you push to hard might brake the shaft but i doubt it

I believe you need 10 or 12 star

Thank you for the Rating :)

If you need my assistance in the future, Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page

You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800

Thanks. Talk to you later
Welcome ,keep me updated
Chad, This the guy with the Mercedes C300 seat issue from earlier today. I took the seat cushion off so I could get to the track motor. I looked at all the wiring harnesses and I cant not see how they could ever get damaged given the fiber wrapping around them. any way I disconnected the motor. put a new fuse in and the up and down worked and so did the back rest. I placed the wire back on the motor and it works great! I tested it several time in all motions before putting it back together. Thanks for the help. Your now my Mercedes guy :)

awesome news,man you did great,sorry was out for a little

Thank you for the Rating :)