Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I need to locate and test my CPS on a 2005 Mercedes C180…

Customer Question
Hi. I need to...

Hi. I need to locate and test my CPS on a 2005 Mercedes C180 Kompressor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Mercedes. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Nope. Thats it thx

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 1 month ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
Just to be on the same page are you referring to the crankshaft position sensor?
If you are referring to the crank sensor its located on the drivers side of the engine in the back. If you were looking at the back lf the engine as if you were sitting in the car it would be at the 10-11 oclock position on the bellhousing of the back of the motor. Hope this information helps Please take a second and rate me 5 stars in the top right corner of the chat if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Thanks for choosing just answer! Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !
I will be on most of the day so if you need help simply reply back, i will always reply even if not right away. Lou
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just checking, my car was 100% since I bought it 2 years ago. now allof a sudden this morning it did not want to start. it cranks but not starting. listened if the fuel pump starts, and it does. ask around on some sites and all is suggesting either the crank or cam sensors. would you think that it might be te problem? and how could i check to see if sensors is working?
The only way to check to see if a sensor is working is with a scope or scanner to read rpm. I would suspect fuel pump or low fuel . There is a pressure test port on the fuel rail you can use a gauge or screwdriver and rag to see if pressure comes out . But for this engine fuel pump would be my first assumption.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if i depress the valve there is petrol coming out. and the pump seems to switch on if i listen close to back seat area.
Ok good so far so good. Then next is to get a scanner that can read live data and see if we can reas engine rpm when the engine is cranking.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
dont have a scanner, and just making sure, i have a right hand drive, cant seen to locate sensor
The diagram only shows me the M111 engine crank sensor and not the M271 but all of ours are the same location ill forwadd you the picture
I can check the workshop info for work instructions but that would be a bit.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, i do have 271 motor, ill try and see if it is not underneath the oil filter housing? it is a very tight fit in there, would maybe have see if it is not easier getting there from underneath?
What we do on some is loosen the trans mount and jack it up so it angles the engine forward. Also your engine hood does go up 90 degrees. There is a red button to press on the side if one of the shocks for the hood to raise it up all the way. Does the engie crank nice and strong just no start?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it just cranks and no start, checked fuel again, it squirts out nice and strong, so doubt it is fuel related?
Was just gonna ask that again, so yes if fuel squirts out nice and strong a few times then yes can rule out fuel for now. Our local parts stores loan scanners out. Do you have any autozones nearby?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no unfortunately not.
ok well without a scan tool the next best option is to replace the sensor but i am not certain that is the issue. If you work on your car a lot yourself then you might want to purchase a scan tool. Check ebay or amazon for
Icarsoft Mercedes
Its a very decent scan tool for a great price.
I wish i could give you a fix but there is not enough info to know what is wrong.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok let me see if i can buy a bluetooth obd link. could take a few days.
Dont those are junk.
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician