Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 99 ml 320 the key has failed and it has had 8keys…

Customer Question
I have a 99...

I have a 99 ml 320 the key has failed and it has had 8keys made already so I bought a dodor can lock ir with a bad tranny I swapped the ecm and the aam the ir ring around the lock and the ignition lock but it has a code for das nott sent so it starts and diees got any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They are fine is there another module involved

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 Mercedes?

Ml320

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ML320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and I replaced the aam and ecm plus the ring around the lock cylinder and the lock itself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have a complete donor car

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercedes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it has a code for start enable of DAS not sent I believe it is p 1540
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry p1570
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
alldata say something about an EIS module does this car have one is it part of the AAM if it has one where is it located?
3/18/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago
eric remington

hello can I have vehicle id number

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
4JGAAB54E7WA007189 IS THE VIN
the donor car is #4JBAB54EXA141946
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is the IPC involved in the DAS system it is one of the things i haven't swapped yet?
Mercedes Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

h​ave the new keys been programmed to the car? call a locksmith

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am using everything including the ignition lock cylinder from the donor car that ran when I took it apart is the IPC involved in the DAS system??
Mercedes Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

y​es but the computer has to recognize the new key

Mercedes Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

so anything related to antitheft has to be reprogrammed...since you have new keys new keys need to be reprogrammed to either of the modules

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t have new keys I took all of the lock cylinders ignition switch transponder coil AAM ECM and the Key from the donor vehicle
Mercedes Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

A new ML remote key purchase has to be programmed by your local MB dealership service dept and should not charge you more than a half hour labor. You cannot program a used ML remote key from one ML to another.

Here is information that may help you if you have the original remote and my not require replacing but may need resychronizing:

This should work if your remote key battery is still good. This process is only good for getting the remote key to operate the door locks again. If it is not starting the vehicle, you may have an issue with the Electronic Ignition System (EIS) or the key itself.

Enter vehicle and close door and perform the following steps. Each step needs to be performed within 2-3 seconds of the previous step...Good luck!

1. Insert key into ignition.
2. Turn key to position 2, which is just before it would actually start engine.
3. Remove key.
4. Press & hold unlock button on the remote key.
5. While holding unlock button, press unlock button repeatedly 10 times.
6. Release unlock button.

Mercedes Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

why are you swapping all these components?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am swapping these components because the eighth the key in my original vehicle has failed and I cannot get another key for it so I ordered or bought a complete donor vehicle removed the transponder ring the ECM the a.m. and the ignition lock cylinder and the ignition lock installed them all into my original vehicle and I still have a DOS error DOS signal not sent code P 1570 is the instrument panel cluster involved in the decision for the DOS authorization
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Typo it is DAS NOT DOS and AAM not am thanks for your help
Mercedes Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

did u try locksmith for other key

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you know about DAS systems then you know the aam will only hold eight keys locksmith can’t help with that
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 1 month ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,keep in mind that since we are doing this over the internet I need as much info as possible about your issue no matter what seems important or not, all info is helpful. Also please do not simply rate negative if you find an issue with info that is relayed, I am truly here to help and will do what i can to get you the information you need,thanks!

may i have the vin for both ML's?

also so you know 24 keys total can be made, 8 key tracks with 3 replacement keys per track, the problem benz has currently is that there is no manufacturer for the keys at the moment from what i know,.

but i would like to get the vins because there was a model break where we started using a EAM with a das module .

Lou

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Lou it seems I might be matched with the correct person now I will send the Vin numbers for both vehicles and just to be clear so you understand my original vehicle was on key number eight when the key quit working I did not lose it it starts and dies Mercedes told me it would need a new key but then they told me after I ordered it it did not show up because it’s at eight keys made I understand what you’re saying about it having three keys per track however Mercedes won’t help me with that so I bought a donor vehicle swap the a.m. the ECM the ignition lock cylinder the transponder in and they ignition switch now I have a code for DAS not sent I have a friend with a star diagnostic tool from Mercedes-Benz and I’m going to send the card to him today hopefully he can get into the AAM and correct this problem but any advice you have would be great thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The van for my original is 4JGAB 54E7WA007169 the gun for the donor is 4JGAB54E4XA141946
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Excuse the typos it’s the Vin and also the Vin not the gun that’s what I get for using talk to text

the parts guys dont know sometimes that they can order a NEW KEY or REPLACEMENT KEY it all depends on how they order it.

a new key is a new track, a replacement key is a additional key on a currently used track.

of course lol

makes texting more exciting not knowing what siri or cortana will say lol

ok we have a problem.

there is a vin split.

you 2 incompatible aams,

they are not direct replacments of each other.

i know you swapped over all affected components, but that does not mean that it should work.,

there is something different between the 2.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any suggestions Mercedes wants me to change all the locks cylinders the ignition switch with steering log and the a.m. for the tune of about $2000 I cannot see any reason for the lock cylinders as they are mechanical and I have keys for both sets do I need to just replace the AAM or should I do the AAM and the transponder ring

checking the parts to see what else might be the issue.

did the other ML run or no? did i miss that info?

ok i see that it ran

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the donor vehicle did run it has a bad transmission I figured if I swap everything this one would run as well I wasn’t sure if the IPC is included in the DAS decision so I even tried replacing that

checking on some things between the vins.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I even swapped the steering column along with transponder ring and switch and thank you the last gentleman Told me repeatedly that I had to replace the key and call a locksmith thank you for not doing that

that was gonna be my finishing move,

:)

fatality.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I sense of humor No matter how this works out I was going to tech cancel my JustAnswer subscription and now I think I’m going to keep it thank you

glad to hear, I am great with mercedes.

you chose a bad issue lol

i blame you on this one,

but i will do my best.

i have been here for almost 10 years and a benz tech since late 90's

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is. Nice to be able to Get advice from someone that knows at least as much as I do I believe the other gentleman was trying to help but he just doesn’t have any knowledge of the system and my knowledge is limited

i am trying to find something that tells me that the parts cannot be changed.

so far im coming up dry, but still looking, let me have some time with this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good thank you

for sure.

and Lou is my real name fyi :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think there is a chance that if I tell Mercedes I want to replacement key not a new key that I might be able to put the old modules back unit and use that I did order a key for my other ML 320 From Mercedes in Tacoma and I got up the next day but I was ordering a new key do I have to use the word replacement key with them

ok so you 100% know that you did not mix up the partts? and you did in fact swap the correct aam and me module?

the transponder is not vin specific so that wont matter, and you did try both transponders?

i am not sure we can get keys still, we had a issue where we had no supplier.

i will recheck with my advisor and parts.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did try both transponders and then I mix and match the ECM and a.m. just grasping for straws but now I have the donor car parts in it As far as I know the only module I have not changed is the ESP module
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Excuse me ETS module

that module should not matter on this model i will triple check. did you look over the documents i sent over?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t see any docs

ok ironically i have 2 of the same question different customers lol

here

so you are using the key from the donor car too correct?

and the black box that is with the tranposnder ring is in fact plugged in? i would recheck the connections and make sure no pins got bent on all the parts you replaced.

per the vins, this car should start man.

you swapped all the affected components.

engine module, aam and key are all you need to function per vin.

the transponder is what sends and receives the signals so it is needed but not per vin.

that tells me that maybe the key was not the issue to begin with??

and the car is the issue.

lets check power and ground at the transponder connection

as a test i would ask you to reinstall the aam and me module back into the other ML to make sure it starts again.

maybe, just maybe the trans module is affected too;.

maybe,.

but i cannot find info on that.

but i know on later years the trans module is vin coded.

this is a good one man.

i like it.

you are close.

missing something simple

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well the car is going to my friends shop today because he won’t let the star diagnostic tool out of his sight so I will get back to you with what I find thanks it is nice to talk to someone who understands what I am working with I will let you know no matter what it takes to get it started I don’t give up on a challenge lik this one because I am a retired GM drivability tech and it feels great to solve something that they say can’t be done

oh anything can be done lol you know this as well .

just have to be 10% smarter than the car lol.

you are close like i said, just missing something small.

if we can verify that the donor works perfect but not with the parts in the new, lets put the parts in the donor and see.

i know this might be a challenge with the ignition locks but all you need to to is have someone hold the correct key in the transponder coil while the ignition is turned.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ps don’t hold the GM thing against me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The parts Car is Beyond running again I have stripped many parts of that as it’s going to the wrecking yard this week

never i am a chevy guy myself lol,

benz was just a career, im a camaro guy and vette guy,.

oh darn.

ok.

shoot.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nice I am doing an LS swap in a 75 vette ls7 Lingenfelter heads and tremic 5 speed should be about 600hp

what are you doing with an ML then lol

if this is your first benz you chose poorly my man, lol

these w163 were the worst until about 2005 then they finally changed to a better redesigned model.

anywho,

i sent over a phone offer, figured it would speed things up.

let me know your thoughts.

i will be gone for a bit but back later.

Lou

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I got the ML 320 for free I’ve had three of them never paid more than $500 usually get 567 years out of them also have an SLK 230

ok i am back. i will be on for the rest of the day, may be gone here and there to commute and what not

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I won’t have any more info until tomorrow it just left in a tow truck

ok gotcha.

have a good night, ttyl.

Lou

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician