Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 SLK230 the blinkers & flashers stay on solid. this has…

1999 SLK230 the blinkers...

1999 SLK230 the blinkers & flashers stay on solid. this has been a intermittent problem for some time but now it seems to be a constant problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SLK230 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am, I looked at fuses and the flasher relay in the main fuse box which I figured out it's just for the remote locking system so I din't think that one is the problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

110K and yes it has always started normal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The rear window defroster hasn't been working for a number of years, We've owned this car for 10 years.

Answered in 2 days by:
3/19/2018
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

the flashers and turn signals work a little complicated in this model.

we need to check to see if the relay in the drivers side engine bay fuse box way at the back is actually clicking and releasing or not.

Lou

I pretty much ruled that one out, the signals/flashers are once again working.. for how long I don't know, I pulled out the K54 while I had the flashers on just now & the lights still flashed. My understanding of the K54 is that it is for the locking system to signal it is locked when you use the remote.
i concur, these 170 diagrams are the worst i know the convenience module or what its called does the function but i cannot find the wiring path in star wiring. Lol and im the expert :)
But seriously good, good test, it has to be the sam even though in this model its not called the sam. I know i been through this before i cant find the info i thought i saved . Ill get back on the diagram. You gonna be working on it tonight?
It clicks when you use the remote but silent when you use the hazards/turn signals.
I will be around, Thanks. -KC
Ok good perfect.

ok, do you know where the multifunction control module / combination control unit (same thing) is located in the passenger side module box? its not the small K40 with the fuses in it, its another one.

we need to verify voltages at 2 pins.

With both hazards and turn signals inoperative, test for voltage at multifunction control module connector 3 pin 46 Black/Yellow with a test light and a voltmeter. Verify test light will light up bright and that there is correct battery voltage with key on and the hazard switch in the rest position. Test with key off and hazard switch in the On position.
If voltage input to multifunction module is correct without voltage drop, test for flasher output at same connector pin #45 Black/Blue wire. Output wire should flash with correct operation.

connector 3 pin 45 Circuit 49a voltage output to turn signal and hazard flasher switches Ignition on: 12 VDC intermittent if turn signal or hazard flasher switched

connector 3 pin 46 Circuit 49 input Ignition on: 12 VDC

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you, I haven't did the troubleshoot that you recommended. My Wife was in a bicycle accident & I'm kinda preoccupied right now. -KC

no problem, family first, you dont have to worry about me , hope all goes well.

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician