Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My lights will come on and off and the locks will lock among…

Customer Question
My lights will come...

My lights will come on and off and the locks will lock among other strange electrical issues. I believe I have a short somewhere.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Interior and my exterior lights stopped working it's a 2001 e320 4 matic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have done some work. I had replaced by a mechanic, the alternator and battery and starter. They told me the battery should not have been dead so It's pulling too much power from somewhere. the windows act up, the interior lights just started coming on and off, and different fail sensors will come on and off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm worried It could shut off while driving.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 2 days by:
3/19/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 1 month ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Hello so sorry no one has responded thus far.

I can help with this.

can you tell me if this seems to happen when it rains or the car gets wet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have several speculations. It only occurs when the car is rolling wet or dry. A few months ago I left my sunroof open and it rained heavily all over the window controls and gear shift and got very wet inside the car. The windows immediately began acting up and have been ever since. The problem eventually subsided slightly but the windows are unpredictable. I just fear that the vehicle could shut off while I'm driving given the fact that is has been doing such bizarre electrical things. I also had a coworker try to install a system in my car while working together on set and he started, but was unable to finish due to time constraints trying to do it between shifts. We gave up and he put it back the way it was (I assume, I didn't personally watch him rewire it). There is definitely a short somewhere. The headlights have stopped working except for the high beams, the check engine light comes on and off, the oil sensor light will come on and off even when there is plenty of fresh oil, the interior lights will come on and off while driving, the locks will unlock and lock while driving preceded by an electrical sounding "hum", speakers will come in and out periodically. I fear the short could be attached to one or more of the wheels (given it primarily acts up while rolling) or it could be happening due to a possible oil leak leaking onto wires.

ok, so the window switch assembly is connected to the cars internal communication system.

what i would do is make sure the windows are all closed.

unplug the switch assembly and see if the issues continue.

water entry will cause all of this, there are plenty of communication lines under the carpet as well.

so its possible there is unseen water in the car.

so the first thing i can tell you is the shifter and the window switches are most likely bad, the switches for sure.

its one assembly.

so lets unplug it and see what happens.

Lou

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician