Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I change the rear strut and pump on the airmatic suspension…

I change the rear...

I change the rear strut and pump on the airmatic suspension system and now i cant get power to the either pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2000 s430

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S430 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well when i notice low in the back i replaced the rear strut , then i replaced the pump. now the new pump want come on unless i cross jump it on another fuse

3/16/2018
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

few things,

the car must be on the ground, if the car is raised the pump will not come on.

also if you turn the key on and the dash states "airmatic visit workshop" the pump will not come on.

the fuse and relay are in the passenger side fuse box in the engine bay.

its the orange 40 amp up in the front in the middle slot, there will be 3 slots for big fuses, its the middle one and the relay is relay O and in the letter O, if you pull up the relays you will see that under the relay on the fuse box are letters indicating the position.

swap that relay with another that looks similar and see if the pump now comes on, usually when we have a failed pump we change the relay and blown fuse as well.

also double check the connections at the pump to make sure they are not bent or broken or burned. there are tons of things that are common.

so i cannot tell you one magic answer these are easy to fix sometimes take just a little time to diagnose.

so let me know what you see or find and i will do my best to help.

please look over all the info i sent and please answer any questions i ask that will help me help you.

Lou

i have ordered two new relays already. i thought it was strange that both relays went out at the same time. i previously switch one out w/ the other and that did not solve my problem. I am not getting any power to the pumps , so i crossed jumped the pumps of another fuse and the pumps came on.i notice you said the car has to be on the ground, i have the car raised w/ jack stands in the front to replace the pump could that be the cause ?
It can be yes it needs to be on the ground
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
i removed jacks , raised up! thx.