Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1985 190e. won't start has good spark coming out of coil…

1985 190e. won't start has...
1985 190e. won't start has good spark coming out of coil wire but nothing out of cap. bad rotor or cap?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

It could be either a bad rotor or cap, or the rotor isn't turning when spinning over the engine, can you pull the cap and spin the engine and make sure the rotor is turning in the distributor with the engine?

When you pull the cap take a good look at the rotor with a flashlight, make sure the electrode isn't burned into anywhere.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
everything looks good. car had waterpump leak and belt sent coolant everywhere.

I understand. Make sure the rotor spins when you crank the engine, it should, but just want to double check it. your getting good spark out of the coil wire coming out of the coil when cranking correct? have you put a new cap and rotor on it yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
rotor spinning
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ordered cap and rotor. be here tommorow

Alright, if the rotor is turning, then yes, put a new cap and rotor on it and that will fix it I feel sure. Unless by some really odd problem of the coil just being too weak to send spark through to the cap, but the coil spark would look really yellow instead of blue if that was the case in my opinion. I think new cap and rotor will fix it.

Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
blue spark jumps about an inch
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks

Yes, it's definitely good to go then in my opinion.

Absolutely, Thank you.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician