Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 95 Mercedes c280 surges during idle and in drive. It is…

My 95 Mercedes c280...

My 95 Mercedes c280 surges during idle and in drive. It is most prevalent while the engine is cold. I have changed the coils, coil wires, and plugs. The mass air flow has also been replaced.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

115,000 miles, 6 cylinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C280 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I am fixing myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's about it

3/15/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Standing by

Sounds like it's time to diagnose this issue rather than throw any more parts at it.

The fuel pressure and volume would be my first test with a gauge. Next would be to read ALL of the pertinent data with a scan tool. You can borrow these tools from your local parts store too.

Checking for vacuum leaks internally and externally on the motor is another good idea with a smoke machine.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought you might be able to at least provide some historical data related to these issues. Also provide some possible suggestions. I did not notice your site was a pay site originally, but after the chat window popped up, figured I could get some direction.

I gave you the direction already.

I’ve been in the auto repair industry since 1975 and have made many improvements over
the years pertaining to proper repairs. I also share this knowledge in the classrooms I
instruct in around the country, teaching for large companies who offer high-end training
to repair shop technicians.
It all starts with listening to the customer’s complaint, confirming it and finally doing all
the needed tests to locate the problem. All these tests require thousands of dollars worth
of specialized equipment that were designed and produced for the professional
technician. So when I recommend something for you to do, though it may seem silly to
you, please trust that I’ve “been there and done that” before. Getting a baseline is critical.
Once this is done, then I confirm what I have found wrong instead of throwing parts at it,
to be sure the problem I see is NOT camouflaged by something else.
Just like when you go to the doctor’s office for a visit, they take all your vital signs such
as; blood pressure, body temperature, weight, pulse etc.
This is my approach as well, except with the cars vital signs instead. I do everything
possible to NOT leave any stones unturned because it can cause you to misdiagnose the
problem or chase your tail.
I see so many people replace everything between the bumpers to no avail and spend
money they could have saved, if they only paid for a good diagnosis.
Sad to say, I even see people offering help to someone else by just telling them what the
parts are they should replace. Ouch!! These cars are all high tech, no room for guesswork.
When the check engine light or any lights illuminate in the instrument cluster, something
is obviously wrong, and there is not a code reader on the planet that will tell you what’s
wrong, they will only give you a code that is related to the part/circuit in question. These
parts stores check codes for free, for what reason? Hmm!

deliver bad news:)
you rate me

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor