Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

This is the first time I am using this site so I'm not sure…

Hi this is the...

Hi this is the first time I am using this site so I'm not sure how to. I have a 2002 C230 two door coupe. I had tinting in the back window which was horribly bubbling to the point I could barely see out. I had it removed yesterday knowing that the defrost wires may be removed but since I never use the defroster it didn't matter. After having it done, my fob will not unlock/lock the door from a distance. I need to be right up to the driver's door handle for it to work. My question is: did the defrost grid also function as a antenna? if so, is there a way to repair this or do I need to replace the window? Do they still sell replacements? and is the costs to replace it? I could probably live with it but I'm trying to see what my options are...I feel rather stupid having the tint removed now ...but I can see a lot better with out the bubbly tint. : ) Thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

Yes, it's a new fob, just purchased in November. and the red light comes on when i press the button

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Coupe?

2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet. if I need to replace the window, I will go to a shop

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, i don't think so

3/15/2018
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

The grid does act as part of the antennae circuit and with it tearing this causes this fault here.In most cases the rear glass has to be replaced to resolve this fault but there is a liquid repair out there you can try first.It is cheap and paints right on where any of the contacts ripped off painting over the lines as needed.Below in the link is the repair kit.Now you can also usually purchase it from a local parts store.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-09117-Complete-Window-Defogger/dp/B000ALBZJY

If the repair does not work then the back window has to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Ok thank u

Your welcome

Thanks Pete

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic