Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2004 500sl has only 50,000. Original mile. Yesterday it…

My 2004 500sl has...

My 2004 500sl has only 50,000. Original mile. Yesterday it stalled and would not restart for 20-0 mins. The engine turned over strong but it wouldn't start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

After it restarted (20-30 mins later) the 'check engine' came on. When I arrive d home I stopped and restarted the car three times and it went out.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MINI?

Mini????

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

What mini are you taking about?

3/14/2018
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Hi, my name is***** sounds like you may have a crankshaft position sensor failing. When the sensor malfunctions it will cause the engine to cut off and not allow the engine to start again until the sensor cools down. It usually takes about 15 minutes before the engine will restart. Once the sensor cools down the engine starts as if nothing was wrong. If this tends to happen only after the engine has been warmed up I would suggest replacing the crankshaft position sensor. The diagnostic test will probably give you fault codes that point to a bad sensor.
Where is that sensor located ? Additionally could you tell me where the air liter is located?
The sensor is located at the left rear of the engine, mounted above the flywheel. It is directly behind the driver’s side cylinder head. The air filters are located on the left and right side of the air cleaner housing on top of the motor. The housing just lifts up off of the motor. Turn it over and remove the screws holding the air cleaner boxes to the housing.
I can't afford another $26 dollars at this time for a telephone chat. If you could answer my last question I would be satisfied
No problem, the phone offer is automated. I think I just answered your last question. Let me know if you need anything else.
Thanks Marty, am I correct in assuming that replacing the crank shaft sensor is an expensive procedure ?
I’d estimate approximately $300.
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Oh, that’s not too bad. Thanks for your knowledge. I’ll check the error codes and have it replaced
You’re quite welcome
Hi Marty, your accessment of my problem was SPOT ON. I ordered the sensor and installed it myself. The baby is purring like a kitten.
Thanks you for you assistance. I’m sure ill be contacting you in the future.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad it worked out.