Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I recently installed new LED Headlights in my car. They

Hello there, I recently...

Hello there, I recently installed new LED Headlights in my car. They worked for a few days, and this morning just stopped working on "auto", BUT will work on the "manual" setting. My question is, is it possible a fuse blew? If so, how? Because electrically speaking, I thought LED have less load than standard Halogen? Do you believe it's something else? If you need more details please ask, thank you very much!

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

The bulbs are fine, as they work in other settling, but that particular circuit or setting when putting them in auto just randomly stopped working. I haven't checked the fuses but all other sources I went to say that is most likely the issue, and recommended to RAISE the new fuse amperage.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2012 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No but the Benz dealership near me has off hours compared to my job and they are weird when it comes to dealing with after market issues as it is, but I know the fuses aren't expensive in general but the shops around me don't test them, only replace. Is it easy to test them?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should be everything so far

3/14/2018
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Did you install LED or Xenon bulbs?

Hello Mr. Singh. LED
This conversation only works if I continue with a phone call? I'm fine with just chatting like this

No need to call. Ignore that pop up.

It is not a fuse related issue. If the use was bad the bulbs will not work at all. The bulbs on this vehicle are monitored by the headlight control module. Due to the difference in resistance on led bulb than the manufacture specified halogen bulbs the module probably has a fault code and disengaged the auto function.

I see. If I'm not mistaken, an error indication would not show on the dash or anywhere unless an auto group or dealership check the issue through a computer, right?
Because I'm not seeing any new indications on the dash or anything

Yes. The headlight control module will not show a malfunction indicator on the dash. A compatible scan will be needed to scan the codes off the module. A lot of independent repair shops are able to scan for codes as well, not necessary to take it to the dealer.

That's great info, I'll take it to an independent shop since I'm not sure how Mercedes will react to an after market product. Can the code be reset permanently this way, or do I have to have another component I stalled now, such as a new relay or whatever it needs?

That depends on the code. Some led bulbs are not compatible with some vehicle or there could be an actual component issue and could be a coincedence it happened similar time.

You're welcome and good luck with your vehicle, And please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Gunvir Singh
I see. Well, I appreciate the assistance Mr. Singh. You habe been a great help. Take care and I will will def rate at the top. Thanks again