Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Unbalaced drive shaft. 2009 c300. And rotating the drive…

Unbalaced drive shaft Mechanic's...

Unbalaced drive shaft

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2009 c300

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and rotating the drive shaft 90 degrees

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I tried replacing the flex disc and that's how I came upon this problem

3/11/2018
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** you suspect that your driveshaft is out of balance you should have it checked by a driveshaft shop. They can rebalance the driveshaft for you. You will need to remove the shaft from the car to have it balanced. The joints in the shaft and the center support will also need checking. A faulty joint or center support can cause a driveshaft vibration. Also make sure that the engine and transmission mounts are in good condition.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there’s nothing I can do to fix it myself?

Is this a problem that you were trying to solve with the flex disc or is it one that you created by replacing the disc?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think I created the problem when I changed the flex disc but I would rather do it myself to save money if I really have to go to a shop then I will I just wanted to make sure that if there is a chance I can do it myself I would

Did you separate the two halves of the driveshaft when you took it apart?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I did not because I was just changing the flex disc

if you only replaced the disc and did not separate the driveshaft I would suggest you recheck the installation of the disc and make sure that it is completely seated on the flanges and that the bolts are all installed properly. Make sure the transmission mount and cross member are secure if you loosened either of them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well in order to replace the disc I had to disconnect the driveshaft from the differential so I’m guessing I put it wrong when I re installed it

As long as you didn't separate the two halves you should be fine. Did you loosen the center mount? Make sure it isn't torn. If the mount is ok I would loosen the mount and let it relax.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I did not do that
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How would I do that?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How would I loosen the mount and which mount are you referring to?

Post the last 8 digits of your vin number and I will send you the instructions for removing and installing the driveshaft. It will include the instructions for the center mount.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
9F211730
And I won’t need to remove the driveshaft right? Or do you recommend I do

Good morning, since I cannot inspect the work that you did and cannot feel the vibration I can only suggest that you inspect the flex disc mounting and the center support. If you moved the shaft back to install the disc it is possible that you damaged the center support. You may not need to remove the shaft but you will need to take some things apart in order to inspect the center mount. I've attached the instructions below.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I install a new mount or just loosen it let it sit then tighten it again

If the mount is not damaged you can try loosening it and let it relax then re-tighten it. Check the rubber of the mount to see if it is torn.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician