Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My transmission slow in shifting. 1980 280 e no there,s

Customer Question
My transmission slow in...

My transmission slow in shifting

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

1980 280 e no there,s leaking

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '80 Mercedes?

280 e

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i,m thinking about it ,but if you can recomemend somebody, i,m not a mechanic i,m trying to get an ideal whay i,m up against

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that,s the main problem right now

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercedes
3/11/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the dipstick tube if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer