Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

FOR MARTY ONLY*********FOR MARTY ONLY**********FOR MARTY…

FOR MARTY ONLY*********FOR MARTY ONLY**********FOR...
FOR MARTY ONLY*********FOR MARTY ONLY**********FOR MARTY ONLYI have a 2018 MB S450-4matic. My question is, how are the front brake calipers removed
and what size and type of bolts are they attached by as well as what are the correct torques
When the calipers are replaced and where if at all should the brake pads be lubricated.
A pictorial would be a great help to answer any questions that come up as the job is undertaken. I await your reply.
Yours truly,
Barry
3/10/2018
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi Barry, the calipers are held to the steering knuckle with two 14 mm bolts. You simply remove the brake pads then remove the two caliper bolts and hang the caliper out of the way using a coat hanger or something similar. The brake pads should be lubricated on the edges of the metal backing where they contact the caliper. You should also apply a little paste to the back of the brake pad where it contacts the caliper piston. I've attached a picture below. #170 is the caliper bolt. I don't have the socket size but it should be a common metric hex size.

The bolt torque is 110 ft. lbs. plus an additional 45 degrees.

Click on the attachment for removing the brake caliper.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Marty:
In my opinion you are an excellent MB mechanic but one of us forgot to mention
something very Germaine to my question which is why I bring it up. It is apparent
that the Brake pads can be removed with out taking off the caliper but how? I know the pads need to be spread back towards the Brake piston in order to remove them but how is that done without using a pry bar or screwdriver being pushed against the brake pad or rotor without damaging the brake rotor or must the caliper be removed? Please advise. Thank you.
Yours truly,
Barry Reich

Hi Barry, you can just use channel lock pliers to squeeze the pads back a little. You can probably just remove the caliper bolts and then rock the caliper slightly side to side and cause the pads to move away.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for that last piece of the puzzle.
Regards,
Barry

You're welcome :-)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Again Marty:
Don’t mean to be a pain but after reading your comment several times I think what you meant was not what you wrote.
You wrote, Use the channel lock pliers to squeeze the pads back a little. Then rock the caliper side to side. I didn’t want to remove the caliper, so I think you meant to rock the pads
From left to right a few times and then slide the pads out.
Since this is the first time the pads will be changed out, I didn’t think removing the caliper would be necessary at this point, or should they in fact
removed, cleaned and reinstalled. I realize this is a bit
more involved than I thought so
you can count on a tip.
Regards,
Barry

Hi Barry, are you only replacing the brake pads?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
also I was told no brake grease on the back of the pads
Barry

If you are only replacing the pads there is no need to remove the calipers at all. Just drive the brake pad retaining pins out with a straight punch and squeeze the pads back with the pliers then slide the pads out. A light coat of paste on the back of the pad where it contacts the piston is fine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Marty
I’d like to leave you a fin but I don’t see a way to do that, if its not possible I’ Get you on the next go around.
Regards,
Barry

No problem Barry. I'll be here if you need anything.

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician