Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2003 E55 AMG. I cut the phone cable and now the…

I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 E55 AMG. I cut the phone cable and now the radio doesnt power up and I am getting a TeleAid malfunction and restraint system malfiunction

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

89000, yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 Mercedes?

E55 AMG

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
Can you tell me where this cable was that you cut?
Ok no worries i think i know what happened , ill take a look, give me a few min please
Ok check the fuse box in the trunk just in front of the spare tire. There will be a 5 amp fuse in there, see if its blown. Its location 85 but i dont think that box has numbers on it
No its in front of the spare tire
I clearly stated in front of spare tire
Pick up the cover for the spare tire and you will see the prefuse box at the front part of the spare tire well
Ok its the one in the blue holder
Did you verify with a test light ? Just to be sure
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I don’t have a test light
Ok , as long as you know how to tell if its blown or not im good with that
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I put a new one in and it worked
Now lets check fuses 50 and 55 in the drivers engine bay
Oh sweeeet
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m going to just drive around the block to double check
What happened was you shorted the power to ground and it blew the phone module fuse . All the audio components must work or sound will not travel through the fiber optics. Hope this information helps . Please take a second and rate me 5 stars in the top right corner of the chat if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Thanks for choosing just answer! Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !
Keep the wiring unplugged or separated and it wont happen again :)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What wiring harness should I unplug
Well the telephone cable . Cause thats what you cut correct?
Just follow the wired you cut and unplug it where there is a connection. It should be under the upper level of the console if memory serves me
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it, thank you so much!!!
Good deal have a great rest of your weekend!
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician