Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My GL 450 seems to be fine when it's cold. After driving a…

Hi my GL 450...

Hi my GL 450 seems to be fine when it's cold. After driving a while the transmission is very sluggish. At a stoplight I can for it and it goes about 10 miles an hour then slowly speeds up. I don't think the tachometer is registering a high number it's just slow to accelerate. If I shut it off and go in a store for an hour to come back out it seems to shift fine. Help?!

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

2007. No leaking I'm aware of.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GL yourself? What have you tried so far?

I assume it's the original transmission.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We recently purchased a vehicle haven't driven it a whole lot. Just noticed this the last couple times driving it. We haven't had it a long time. Only a few months.

3/10/2018
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
Can you tell
Me if the check engine light is on?
Also you may see a phone call offer, this is automated . And im fine eithet way message or phone :)
Negative. The tire pressure light is on, but I have been assured it's erroneous.
OK usually when there’s a problem with the speed sensor a check engine light will pop on but it would only happen if the issue happens in***** cycles I would still be interested in you finding someone with a Mercedes scan tool to try and read the codes out of the transmission control module
Hmmmm. We had a new ignition switch installed because it would not go into drive, or park, I forget which. (While at shop getting sunroof repaired) We have had several issues with it and just purchased in Dec. 2017. It has 109,000 miles. Would a VIN number do anything for you? Past HX.
Eh, vin could help but only if we knew if there were a current code or something it would help to see if something else caused itn
But it truly does sound like its getting stuck in limp home mode and speed is limited
Sorry for the delay! I don't know that it's the limp home mode because it does accelerate up. It just does it very slowly. The other time it did it a few weeks ago the tach did rev up and it sounded like the transmission slipped that only happened one or two times during a trip to Key West which was about a six-hour drive.
That is because the trans is locked in the last gear it knows was good so it might be 3rd gear and thats why it takes so long to speed up.
One person mentioned cleaning the opening of the throttle body where the butterfly opens and closes, and the problem stopped. What cause the condition is Gunk around the butterfly would cause a complete closure no air indication and set the car into the limp home mode.
Then you would have a check engine light asap.
Its not a throttle body issue .
Great! I can rule that out then.
So if it is going into limp home mode, what do we need to do?! Obviously, going to a MBA dealer, but maybe some less $$$ as a first step, if that's even possible.
I know I’m not giving you a 100% answer the problem is we don’t know the fault code what we need is to get the fault codes read with a Mercedes capable scanner. Once that happens I can tell you exactly what is going on
I don't suppose AutoZone and those type of automotive stores would have the plug in computer that would read Mercedes error messages would they?
Its worth a shot, but they only read engine module codes and usually only pull codes when the check engine light is actually on.
Snap on , matco, launch, autel, auto logic, mercedes star diagnostic , those are the scanners you need
Taking to GL to a garage next Wednesday, the 21st. First opening they had, I called 4 days ago. Just for your curiosity, I'll let you know the error codes it spits out. HOPEFULLY it will spit something out!

ok yes let me know , i will always be here to help.

hopefully you can give me a heads up that morning and ill make sure im online so that way if they have any questions i can advise asap.

have a good week until then,

Lou

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back. If you feel I have earned one, BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED, Thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
P.S.- forgot to ask error code given. Oops.
maam, that is what houses the speed sensor i was describing :) so yes that is a very possible and makes sense . The control module for the trans is part of the electronic plate that houses all the electronic solenoids and sensors and will cause your issue you were describing. So yes HOWEVER when we had these issues in the dealer we needed to perform a electronic check that the scanner would do on its own to tell us if we needed to either just update the software, replace the module or lastly replace the module with the valve body itself. So hopefully they perfoed that test. Lou
GREAT! Fingers crossed they did what you said.
Thank you so much for your input. I will give you a glowing review!
Have a great day,
Cathy

thanks Cathy, hope it all works out for you!

if you need anything in the future please let me know!

Lou