Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a mercedes R350 / 2007 / 90k miles / VIN

Hello, I have a mercedes...
Hello, I have a mercedes R350 / 2007 / 90k miles / VIN 4JGCB65E97A054430 / and engine number 272967 30 547585 which is newer than the engines prior to 2729..30 468993 (soft balance shaft sprocket material). I am on the safe range of bad balance shaft sprocket. Am I correct?
So, with my MBII icarsoft I am got code: 1208 Constant adjustment of intake camshaft of right cylinder bank in direction 'retarded' (P0016) DTC Status: Stored
I changed the 4 camshaft adjuster magnets and erased the code then my wife drove the car for errands and I checked for codes and the code didn't come back.
Then I drove the car on the interstate and pushed the gas it a little harder on purpose then I had the same code come back on stored status but no CEL. Never had code P0017 though. The car hasn't stopped running smoothly throughout all this process, no loss of power, no vibration, no apparent sound of stretched chain/sprocket.
Could I have the problem with the balance shaft sprocket wear and skipping teeth? Hope not but if so, what do you recommend?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Pete, Mechanic

If you just get the p0016 code without thep0017 code it usually means that some dirt or debris is caught up in the cam gear actuators, but the last one of these I did was in an 09 R350 and the balance sprocket was badly worn out. There is a procedure to check the timing chain stretch. If you go on U-tube there are a couple of vedeos on the procedure. If the spocket is the problem the engine has to come out . If it is the actuator it can be replaced with the engine in the car.

Can I try an engine flush to try to remove the possible dirt or debris on the cam actuators? Also I just got code 0924 and P0024. I removed an reinstalled the intake manifold last week but haven’t checked for vaccumm leaks. Is it common to get this 0942 and P0422 code after removing and reinstalling the intake manifold?
After the manifold reintallation I noticed the engine runs cooler at about 80 degrees when used to run at 90 degrees before. Is that a bad sign?

Just got in from work. The flush might help. The code p0024 is for b2 cam timing over advanced. The code p0924 is for the cruise control module. It might be a connector problem, since you pulled the intake, recheck all the connections. the temp is not a consern at this stage.

Hi Pete - not codes P0024 nor P0924 but 0942 “the efficiency of the right catalytic converters is insufficient function chain P0422”
I don’t have P0024 I mistyped that. Thank you.

Ok

Pete, Mechanic
Hello Pete, I did an engine flush, replace ALL the cam magnets and sensors and still have the p0016 code.
I checked the oil from the engine flush and fished into the oil pan with a magnet and not a single spec of metal.
No P0017 code. Two questions:
Can I have a stretched chain only on the right side?
What is the procedure or steps to replace the actuator with the engine in the car?

The way to ck for chain stretch or gear wear is to take out the cam sensors,all 4, and set the crank to 305 degrees. The 4 cam plates have stamp marks on them and should be centered in the cam sensor holes. There are a few u-tube videos on this engine and the procedures to ck the cam timing.That is your first step before you replace any more parts.

Pete, see the photos.
Dead center 305 degrees and took the photos of the 4 timing stamps.
Intake on both sides looks pretty dead center.
Exhaust on the Driver side seems off about 1/8" no more than 3/16", Exhaust on the passenger side looks close to 1/4" off but not more than that. Both retarded positions. What can I try next? Does this indicate timing chain stretch and can I do it myself?
As reminder I am getting code P0016 (1208) stored not current only when I push the car hard on the highway and never on first start. I have zero codes on the driver side related to camshaft retarded.
305 degrees.jpg305 deg...jpgpassenger intake.jpgpasseng...jpgpassenger exhaust.jpgpasseng...jpgDRIVER SIDE INTAKE.jpgDRIVER...jpgDRIVER SIDE INTAKE AND E...jpgDRIVER...jpg

By the looks of the marks the chain is ok. The exhaust cams are gear driven by the intake cams. They are off a little bit. My thought is that there is wear in the locating pins for the trigger wheels,these are the plates that have the stamp marks on them. The only way to be sure is to take them off and check them on the bench. The ecm is trying to correct the problem by constantly adjusting the cam timing. The job is kind of tricky if you havn't done one before. Signing off now 1:22 am. Will chat tomorrow if you like.

Hello Pete,
Makes sense to me.
To change the trigger wheel on the passenger exhaust side, do I need to take the top valve cover? or only the front?
I have seen several videos and they show the top valve cover off but I hope is only because they remove the camshaft gears as well. I wouldn't touch or mess with the gears at all.
If the top cover needs to be off I may be considering a professional to do it but hope I can do it. I am maybe mid level skilled, I have changed water pumps, intake manifolds, serpentine belts, fuel rails, brake calipers, struts, cv axles, spark plugs and oil changes and like doing it.

The valve cover has to come off to replace the trigger wheels. It shouldn't be that hard for you since you have done all of that other work in the past.

Hi Pete last question. I only have code P0016 constant adjustment of intake camshaft of right cylinder bank in direction retarded. But the mark is dead center from the pictures, I have new genuine sensors and magnets installed. I scanned it while running and the intake camshaft is properly advancing and retarding at the same pace as the left intake camshaft.
Could the off center right Exhaust trigger wheel be causing the intake code P0016 for some reason? I have a new right exhaust trigger wheel ready to go but I am only getting the code on the intake.

Since the exhaust mark is a little off compared to the intake I would remove the exhaust cam plate to see if the pin is off center.One more thing. The p0016 code is a generic code for the cam timing. Do you have excess to a factory SDS type scan tool? It will tell you the exact reason why the code is triggering. It might be worth getting it scanned with the factory scanner before you change any more parts.

The sub code is 1208

Sorry, I see that you had the 1208 code noted before. I looked at the pictures again and I am trying to figure out why both exhaust cams are off. Tomorrow I am going to stop over at my machine shop and look at the MB heads and cams that he has in for valve work. I just called him at home and he has 3 engines sitting at his shop. I will get back to you tomorrow after I get in from work.

That would be great.

Ok,I went to my machine shop this morning. Two of the engines are nearly assembled, I finished the third one for him. The timing marks on the one I finished were in the dead center of the cam sensor holes. I told him about your problem and he said that he has seen the exhaust marks off a little on some engines and not set any codes as long as the intake marks were centered. So at this stage the problem must be in the cam gear. At high rpm it is either binding or not releasing properly. One thing to try before changing the cam gear is to replace the cam bolt, the bolt has a spool valve in it that might be hanging up.

Thank you Pete!

Ok, good luck with it.