Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Loud whine from the rear, jacked it up hoping it might be…

Loud whine from the...

Loud whine from the rear, jacked it up hoping it might be the support bearing but mine doesn't have one. started it and put it in gear but the left rear wheel doesn't turn unless I help it the it slows to a stop again

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

1999 Ml430 130,000 miles. parking brake switch?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MiniE yourself? What have you tried so far?

MiniE? I removed the rear wheels to see if I could tell if it was a wheel bearing but they seem to be ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should do it

3/9/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

when you jack it up and put it in gear and the left rear wheel stops, the right one keeps turning correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks

Absolutely, If you jack it up and put it in gear, if the left rear stops, the right one keeps on turning correct?

Alright, then that is normal. there is some slip in the spider gears which allow you to go around corners without skipping, every car will do that fyi. only one wheel will turn when jacked up. Is it still jacked up now?

I see you requested a call but it says payment failed on my end. But we can continue here for as long as you like. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have VERY poor cell service here so let's continue here Yes it is still jacked up

Alright, take a decent sized flat head screw driver, (fairly long) and while it's running and the tire is spinning, listen to the axle bearings close to the differential, then put the screwdriver at different places on the rear differential, it could be pinion bearings or carrier bearings . You should be able to tell where the noise is coming from by listening with the screwdriver while the wheel is turning and holding it to your ear. A stethoscope works best but holding the screwdriver to your ear will work fairly well. Also, if the noise changes when you turn from side to side going down the road at 40-50mph or so, then it is likely a rear wheel hub. The noise changes when you load one side more than the other. so what ever side you load more, if it's louder then it would be that hub that is failing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see the phone number got switched to an old number(###) ###-####should be the rightone

Can you try those things and let me know what you find there?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I'll try the screwdriver The noise only changes with the speed higher pitch as it goes faster not different around corners

OK, if it's not different around corners then it's likely not a hub bearing.

hold the screwdriver to the back of the transmission tail shaft too where the driveshaft comes out. See if you hear it or feel it more there as well.

Rear end has plenty of fluid in it correct? just checking.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yep the fluid level is the first thing I checked. I didn't detect anything too noisy at the rear end a little more at the drive shaft but a bit of grinding at the back of the transmission. of course it is only at idle speed too no help here right now to speed it up

I follow you, turn it off, double check the U joints in the driveshaft. and then maybe get somebody in the vehicle to give it some gas and rev it up some while you check it. It maybe the U joints as well. Hopefully it is, because if it's a bearing in the differential or the transmission itself, that will require some work to get fixed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah I tried the u joint when under there and they are tight
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll have my wife speed it up when she gets home and check it out then

Alright, sounds good. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks

If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need any further help let us know. Thank you.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician