Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

ML320 1998, in limp mode, replaced conductor plate and 13pin…

ML320 1998, in limp...

ML320 1998, in limp mode, replaced conductor plate and 13pin plug, erased code only with ODB2 reader, not the one for the transmission, test drove it, but still not shifting up into higher gear.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?

When changing the conductor plate I also replaced the AT fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ML320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Y

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Does the fault codes have to be erased for the transmission to shift even if the mechanical problem (conductor plate) has been fixed?

I also tested all the solenoids on the valve body before I put in the new conductor plate.
3/9/2018
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** transmission will not come out of limp home mode until you erase the fault codes in the transmission control module. Erasing the codes in the engine control module will not get the transmission out of limp home mode. You will need a factory level scan tool to erase the codes in the transmission control module.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Hi ***** you for the info. I do not have the factory level scan tool. Will disconnecting the battery for 30min erase the TCM codes?
Thanks,
Matthias

Unfortunately not. You are going to need to get connected with a tool that can read the codes in the TCM. There are no workarounds for this.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician