Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2008 ml350 mercedes I made the mistake of putting…

Customer Question
I have a 2008 ml350...
I have a 2008 ml350 mercedes
I made the mistake of putting transmisson fluid in the power steering pump but redi g the manual it said this could be done
I dont know if something had broke or the cause was from the transmission fluid, but it got to where the steering wheel would lock up when you came to a stop or had just turned the vehical on, like tge vehical wasnt even running, but if you started driving straight ahead about 5-8 miles per hour you would hear a pop in the system and the steering would free up until you stopped again.
So i put a new power steering pump after market on it from autozone
Flushed the system with the proper power steering fluid, blocking off the inlet line on the back of the pump and having the inlet tube flowing back into the top of the pump so i could see when it was flowing a continious green power steering fluid getting all of the transmission fluid out.
Turned the steering wheel left and right 30 times each with wheels off ground , then lowered the vehical down and turned steering another 10 times left and right
Still having the same problem 80 percent of the time not as bad thou
Some time the new pump growls at me like there is no fluid in it
Still hear that popping sound when it locks up and releases when i start to drive
Sounds like a valve unsticking maybe and like it might be coming from under the dash
I dont know
Please give some advise.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercedes
3/9/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
I will continue flushing the system repeatedly that grinding noise you hear is because the fluid is aerated, that's common after the pump is replaced, and after about 24 hours the air will work its way out of the system. I would probably flush the fluid again with more green fluid just make sure you get it all out of the steering rack. I've never heard of popping noise like that in the system, I'm wondering if the rack might be bad now. Also you might want to replace the power steering reservoir because it has a filter in it on German cars I wish you the best of luck with that AutoZone pump because usually those aren't very good.