Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1970 280sl w113 fuel pump turns on when driver door is

1970 280sl w113 fuel...

1970 280sl w113 fuel pump turns on when driver door is opened. Also poor acceleration and bucking. Fuel tank and filters changed

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

Replaced 8 years ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '70 Mercedes?

280sl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, the mechanic is the same one who prepped the car in 1970. He is getting old and I think uninterested. Fuel tank and filters replaced with new

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car runs ok for a time and then either stalls or loses power

3/9/2018
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** seems to me that I recall if the brake fluid is low or if the level sensor is indicating low fluid this will happen when you open the door. Check the brake fluid level and the sensors and see if that cures the fuel pump running when the door is opened.

In regards ***** ***** poor acceleration and bucking, I would clean or replace the points and make sure they are lubricated on the rubbing block. Check the cap, rotor and ignition wires and plugs.

Distributors was rebuilt and all wires,plugs and points replaced as part of this problem troubleshooting.Problem still present. Then gas tank and fuel filters. Problem solved for about 800 miles.Now back

If the tank and filters seemed to solve the problem I'd remove and inspect the fuel filter again.

Could this possible be a failing fuel pump?

Yes, it's possible. I'd start with the filter. You could also perform a fuel pressure and volume test on the pump. If the replacement tank was used I wouldn't rule out a problem with the tank either.

The tank was New oem

Ok, I'd inspect the filter first then perform a flow test. You should get about 1 quart in 15 seconds.

Thanks,Rich

You're quite welcome.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician