Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Chrome for the latch that releases the seat to bend forward…

Chrome for the latch...

Chrome for the latch that releases the seat to bend forward is peeling off and cutting fingers. Van I replace that piece myself?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2012 C350 mercedes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Coupe

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, probably not

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Tried nothing. Took to dealership. Too expensive to fix.
its part 207-910-85-06-9051 for one seat and 207-910-84-06-9051for other seat. Both sides need it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they are called "lock for seat back". $40 part per seat, but $350 labour - each
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can a neophyte tackle the job or is it too big? That is the question, and if I can do it, where can I find a suitable repair manual?
3/8/2018
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
Replacing the handle is tedious but can be done. I can get you instructions , might not be until tomorrow if ok. I have helped quite a few people get these replaced. Again its tedious but not a bad job. Maybe 6/10. I am currently in a layover in an airport lol but can get you the info tomorrow . Let me know . Lou
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lou, that would be great! Tomorrow is plenty early enough. If I decide to do this I'd have to order the parts first anyway. My time is free (I'm retired) so I'd rather tackle it myself if there's a good chance of success. I'm a builder by trade not a mechanic but figure that interior upholstery stuff is less about mechanical repairs than it is about clipping and unclipping stuff into place.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
don't need to call until after I see what you send me. Then maybe a talk would be worthwhile.
Phone call is automated , always an option. But not my doing, ok good deal. Ill get you the info as soon as i can. The worst part about the job is the 2 headrest guide tubes. But not a bad job. Have a good night, Lou
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Lou. Have a good layover. LOL
Insert eye roll here :)
I did not forget about you you will have the information today my apologies on the delay
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No problem at all. I'm in no panic, but I appreciate you letting me know. It's a first for me using this service and so there was a bit of scepticism, but so far I'm liking it. Your communication efforts are turning me into a believer.
Trust me everyone that comes here is skeptical and frustrated lol, its a uphill battle. Let me make a believer out of you. But i will get the info to you for sure and help you get this taken care of . Communication is always key.

so, we dont have a specific "remove front seat handle " document, but this here is just that, it shows how to remove the handle

in essence, we remove the headrest, we remove the headrest guide tubes, we pull back the fabric to access the 2 bolts on the inside of the headrest area in the box where you can see the guys hand pulling back the fabric.

i will send over the other documents as well, i figured it would be easier as I explain with the documents

these tubes are the worst part of the job, prying from the inside of the tube you need to pry where the arrow is pointing and pry it inward while hitting the tubes up so the bottom of the tubes break past the frame.

these are supposed to be one time use only we i can t say i have ever replaced them.

:)

the headrests are the easiest, make sure they are adjusted all the way down, you will see on one tube there is a clip and a wiring harness coming out of the tube, pull the clip off and unplug the harness.

on the other side the rod just snaps into the motor.

you need to pop up the headrest and it will pop out of the motor.

and here is where you start, by removing the backrest , sorry i did this backwards lol, the info might be easier this way since you can scroll up as needed.

hope this helps, of course any questions please let me know, even if and after you rate 5 stars (see what i did there) this chat will will not close, you can return here at any time as much as needed.

i will always help.

Lou

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lou, PERFECT!! I can understand all the stuff you sent. I've printed the pictures and your typed words and once I get the parts I'm going to tackle it. I'm heading down to Palm Desert (from Vancouver Canada) in a few weeks for maybe 6 weeks, and it'll be a perfect job for down there in a warm sunny driveway. I look forward to doing the job actually. You've been thorough and complete and from what it seems like provided me exactly what I needed. Thanks very much. You'll get my 5 stars and if your lucky maybe a followup question when I get stuck in that warm driveway. I don't plan on getting stuck, so it'll just be a note telling you I did the job successfully, thanks to you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One quick question. Do I really need to get myself several of those mounting wedges, or can I use something else
Harbor freight sells a kit of plastic tools, you never HAVE to use what mercedes shows you its just the factory tools they have, honestly i used wedges mainly to help seperate
Pieces that need to be pulled apart, like hammering a wedge into a log of firewood, that is about it , the wedges are plastic so they dont last long at actual prying. If this makes sense. Let me know how it goes, any questions please stop before making decisions :) have a good rest of your week, sorry for the delay on this. Lou
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician