Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 CLK 320 conv., top seperating from back window. How to…

2005 CLK 320 conv....

2005 CLK 320 conv., top seperating from back window. How to fix problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Mercedes?

CLK 320 conv.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fix it myself, have not tried fix it without advise from you.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

56,000 mile great car, just bought it.

I have to go, if you have an answer leave it on email: ***@******.*** or 410/758/1637
3/8/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Below is best DIY method to reattach convertible window to top without having to pull the top and use a professional machine to reattach

1.Clean surface, unlock the top and place a 2" spacer to relieve stress on window interface.
2.Apply thin coat of 3M Glass Primer [08682 or 08681] to the glass area to be glued -10 min dry time.
3.Apply 3/16" bead of 3M Windo-Weld adhesive 10.5 oz tube [08609] over primer - Press the surface of the top around the window to provide a good contact and extrude excess adhesive.
4.Prop up the window from inside the car to provide good contact between the glass and top - this is important. place some duct tape in a few locations at the window top interface to assist in holding the top to glass. Cover top to protect from rain - leave top unlocked with spacer.
5. let it cure for 3 days .
6. Carefully clean excess adhesive with razor blade.
7. Cost about $25. Materials can be ordered online or at a body shop supplies retailer.

you can get the windo-weld from amazon.com for about $12 a tube:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-8609-Windo-Weld-Super-Urethane-Black/dp/B000FW61EW

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager