Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2013 Gl 450 engine light, Code P2176, no drivability issues…

2013 Gl 450 engine...
2013 Gl 450 engine light, Code P2176, no drivability issues.
3/7/2018
Shawn Few

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

P2176 Code Definition

Throttle Actuator Control System - Idle Position Not Learned

What the P2176 code means

The P2176 trouble code indicates that the Engine Control Module (ECM) has detected that the throttle body actuator/motor has failed to learn the correct position at which the butterfly valve within the throttle body should be in order to produce a smooth idle for the engine.

What are the causes of the P2176 code?

• A programming error

• A faulty manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor

• A large engine vacuum leak

• Large carbon deposits caked on the throttle bore

• A faulty throttle body motor or wiring and connectors associated with it

• A faulty throttle position sensor or wiring and connectors associated with it

• A faulty Engine Control Module

What are the symptoms of the P2176 code?

• Vehicle may stall
  • Vehicle may not start
  • Vehicle may not accelerate well
  • A Check Engine Light will be illuminated

How does a mechanic diagnose the P2176 code?

1. A mechanic may begin diagnosing this issue by first attempting to reprogram the Engine Control Module to correct the idle issue.

2. If this does not work, the mechanic would then check the throttle body’s connections and wiring to ensure that all circuitry is in good working order.

3. Next, the mechanic would inspect the inside of the throttle body to ensure that it is clean. If not, the mechanic would likely run some throttle body cleaner through the throttle body to remove any carbon deposits.

4. If the issue is still not resolved, the mechanic would test the throttle body motor, manifold absolute pressure sensor, and the throttle position sensor for proper function using the manufacturer’s recommended procedure.

If all else fails, the mechanic would test the Engine Control Module and check the engine for vacuum leaks. Any faulty parts would be noted by the mechanic and relayed to the customer to make a repair decision.

Common mistakes when diagnosing the P2176 code

A common mistake that could be made when diagnosing this issue would be to manually open an electronic throttle body with your hand or another tool. This can cause damage to the throttle body.

How serious is the P2176 code?

I would consider this issue to be serious, but not a major issue. This condition only affects the idle speed of the engine. With that said, the engine should perform normally during all other situations. I would still highly recommend having the issue diagnosed and repaired as soon as possible to ensure that the problem does not get worse.

What repairs can fix the P2176 code?

Additional comments regarding the P2176 code?

Although this issue is not as serious as some other Check Engine Light codes, it may lead to or be associated with other problems. This is the reason why it is so important to have an issue like this corrected at your earliest convenience.

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?

Hey Shawn thank you for the detailed information. The majority of the causes / symptoms I think would appear in drivability issues, the car preforms fine one would never know that I had check engine light. If you had to give a educated guess where would point your finger, thanks Jerry
Hi Shawn ,I still waiting for you response to my follow-up question and will complete the survey again thanks for your help.

Hey Jerry , a Small vacuum leak or TB body wiring is the most common from my experience, sorry was out for few days

Shawn Few