Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Front end clicking noise, loading the driveline and turning…

Customer Question
Front end clicking noise...

Front end clicking noise, loading the driveline and turning in and out of parking stalls major clicking sounds from each front corner. Both sides. I have replaced wheel bearings, brake pads, rotors... all with out fixing the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the rotors? How many miles are on the car?

Look at my message and it explain how old the rotors are

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2013 gl450

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Read what I put, it will say what I have done

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercedes
3/7/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

It sounds like a bad cv joint. Are the boots torn or cracked?

Not torn or crack. No rips or sign of grease anywhere. 33000 miles on odometer
How do the cv axle remove from the diff. I know how to get them out of the strut/knuckle hub but not the diff side
I thought maybe u joints but the driveline doesn't have those
Not sure how it's possible to blow both sides cv joints on a 33000 mile car with zero signs of cv damage and never in accident

You are right the milage is to low for both joints to go. The axle shafts will pop out of the diff side by hitting the inner joint with a brass hammer. If you lift the truck on a hoist will it make noise or does it just make noise under load?

Does the clicking come from the outer corners or from the diff or can you tell?

It seems like outter corners, driver and passenger side corners. Right behind the center of the wheel. , it does seem when lifting and lowering I hear a click. But more u under a load cornering into a spot turning either to the left or the right is when it does it most .
But when jacking it up or trying to sway the suspension by me standing on the side steps and moving the vehicle back and forth to sway the suspension I occasionally will hear a click but nothing I can replicate. Only most when turning in and out of a spot is when it clicks mutiple times, everytime.
Strut shocks matbe
who knows it's truly got me stumped. I am a motorcycle tech but these Mercedes are another game, I have built my h2 suspension and know my way around a suspension but this Mercedes has me pulling my hair out

Is it a cyclic click as the wheel is turning or is it more of a suspension click?

I seems to want to lean it as cyclic but then the occasional clock I hear when lifting , jacking. Or stepping on the brake and gas as to load the power train I can get it to click one or twice. But won't continually do it cyclic until I turn and drive. But it will make the clicks.. and I cannot back and forth make it repeat, it is based on load pressure but also rotational load. If that makes sense. I wonder if it could be the sway bar end links
Also shifting back and forth from reverse to drive I can hear the the intermittent click.. again random and seems to be load sensitive
I will take a video sound clip and brb

It just sounds like a bad or dry cv joint. The end links would"nt make a cyclic or consistant noise. The splines in the hubs would only click once as you get on and off the load. Are the rims oem or aftermarket?

https://youtu.be/iSCMlsK-rCU

I heard the noise, its not a cv joint. it is right at the wheel. It sounds springy. Does it do it if you hold the brakes down? Take off the anti rattle clips at the calipers and see does it make a difference.

Anti rattle clips, what are those

When you did the brakes they are on the out side of the calipers. I will get a picture for you.

Ok I gotcha, the black cover plate spring

You can lube the contact points with silicone brake grease and see if it helps or take them off and test drive. They have to be able to float freely.

Have to log off will talk tomorrow if you like.

Please ask your Mercedes friends because I don't thing it's the caliper brake pad spring. . It's something as u can clearly hear the noise in the video.
Also the darn coolant keeps dropping. No signs of leak, but just keeps going low on the level. I hate these vehicles, they are junk

What type of rims on the truck? Are they stock or aftermarket? I have a 2012 in the shop for new air struts. $950 each the customer is not happy. The noise is definitely coming from the wheel area.

33000 miles is low for a coolant leak, but there is a lot of hoses and connections to check to see where the leak is.How much coolant is leaking and how fast?

Wheels are oem. Apparently it is the hubs need to be greased

The wheel bearings are sealed. So you can try to grease the axle splines and retorque the axle nuts.