Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The key fob didn't work this am, i unlocked the door with…

Customer Question
The key fob didn't...

The key fob didn't work this am, i unlocked the door with the key, alarm went off. tried to start it and it started and died and now the "start error" is showing on the dash.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

Yes, put new ones in it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2001 sl320 slk

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SL320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet. I was going to get the main battery tested shortly

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't thinkl so

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercedes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, lots of typos. It's a 2001 slk320.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Generally if the remote just stopped working out of nowhere it's not going to be the batteries if you go to the auto parts store or like hardware store that cuts keys still very often have this little tester sitting on the counter where you put your remote up to and push a button and it'll light up if your remote cuts off radio frequencies it's a rolling code and so if you hit the button too many times out of range of the car it'll actually fall out of sink so maybe it could possibly be programmed again.If I've answered your questions your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name because that is the only way that I'm compensated for my time on this site. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask further questions about this topic even after hitting accept.
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 1 month ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, Lou here, Mercedes Benz tech of 15+ years.

when the dash states "start error" it means there is a failure of the drive authorization system

this will be due to one of the following failures

1. ignition key (you need 2 keys to diagnose this)
  2. the transponder coil around the ignition switch (the chrome ring around the ignition switch actually powers up the key to tell if its the correct key.
  3. the das module located behind the dash cluster

this can only be tested with 2 keys and a mercedes scan tool.

with any other issues I can tell you how to diagnose and test, but with this you need a dealer or a shop that has mercedes equipment.

hope this helps,

Lou

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back. If you feel I have earned one, BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED, Thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I went and got the battery tested and tested the key fob at the local auto parts store. Both checked out. This is what I did then to fix this problem.
1) disconnected the battery
2) turned the key to the on position for 15 min.
3) removed the key
4) hooked up the battery
5) pointed the key at the var and hit the unlock button and then put the key in the car and turned to the on position (this synced the keys)This fixed the problem
Well i can see this happening again. When the battery is disconnected and you put the key into the ignition it doesnt do anything because there is no power in the car. There is no resynch. I fear you will
Have this issue again. But glad its working for the interim. Let me know if it happens again hopefully it does not . Please take a second and rate me 5 stars in the top right corner of the chat if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Thanks for choosing just answer! Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician