Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2006 S500 4matic and the rain sensing wipers

Customer Question
I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 S500 4matic and the rain sensing wipers weren't working. My local MB told me to try replace the overhead console and that's what I did. Twice. They were both used and fixed the rain sensor but now with both replacements, my dash says Light Sensor - Visit Workshop and the rear vanity lights won't turn off. As soon as I connect my original overhead console it goes away and the wipers stop working again. Do you know of a reset that I have to do or what can be going on. Thanks!

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No because when I plug my original overhead console in, the light sensor message goes away.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Mercedes?

S500 4matic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

As I said in the first message, I am doing it myself and I replaced the overhead console twice

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Both consoles were used but so that's why I want to see if there is a reset or something I might be able to do.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercedes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
VIN: WDBNG84J76A481479
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, I read that it can sometime be the battery. I'm not sure how to test it but with my battery being 1-2 years old I don't think that's it.
3/6/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Seems pretty clear that you got three bad control units one of them failed in the manner that it can't see the rain sensing wipers and the other two failed in the manner that the light sensor is faulty so it sounds to me like you need to purchase a new overhead console so that you can get one that's actually good and plug it in and you should be fine.much further than that.If I've answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept as that's the only way I am compensated for my time on this site. If you have any further questions or comments don't hesitate to contact me. You will be able to respond to this question even after hitting accept.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician