Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am living in Panama and just imported a 2003 Mercedes

I am living in...

I am living in Panama and just imported a 2003 Mercedes Designo launch model hardtop convertible (I bought one new when they first came out) Although in great condition there are some bugs. Let me start with the center consoles. Neither the top part or the bottom part will open. I don't see any lock and I dont recall that they lock. No amount of force will open them. Ay suggestions

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

If you can solve this issue I would like to be able to contact you again about other issues.I have the ability to call the states and my email is***@******.***

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Convertible?

I said that in the beginning. a 2003 Designo Launch model. Mercedes manufactured only 2,000 units. It has the retractable hardtop roof.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

There is no dealer here but I do have access to a good mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

So I will need to be involved personally. My mechanic speaks only Spanish. Fortunately my Spanish is good enough to communicate.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Concerning speaking to the Mercedes mechanic by telephone, if you give me a number I can call. Otherwise he can call me using a Florida unmber###-##-#### Let it ring. There are NO international charges using my service. Alan Pratt,***@******.***
3/1/2018
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

there is a pneumatic air lock that is activated when the lock cylinder in the glove box is used and when the car is locked with the key fob if the top is down.

its possible that the air line is disconnected or the pump is faulty.

can you open the rear storage boxes? they should be locked as well?

let me know and I will do what I can to help,.

i do have to step away for a few minutes as well but will be back asap, and I will be online all day today.

Lou

Thanks Lou P. If you can solve this I will have other issues. Alan
The top is down. That is another issue. The hardtop will not function. We ran diagnostics and believe that the PSI pump in the trunk has failed. There is even evidence of a hydraulic fluid leak at the pump. Also the electronic keys do not operate the doors or trunk. Is it possible that these are all inter connected issues? You are correct, the two compartments in the rear do not open either. The silver button to open these two operates but the compartments remain locked.
I will be here for a few hours. Then I will be gone for the rest of the day. Alan

Alan I am back sorry for the delay

ok, so the pse pump is located on the left side of the trunk under the hydraulic pump, here is how you access it.

also check the fuse for the pse , oh /....... well if we can get the storage compartment open we can check the fuse.

shoot.

Lou, after ten years I am not sure where the fuse box is. Concerning talking by telephone, I have a service that allows me to call the States and you can call me by using a number in Florida. I don' t mind paying a one-time $26 fee to call you but not each time. How does that work?
I will take a phot of the pse pump in the trunk. How can I send it to you?

its a one time charge.

the fuse box is inside the bottom of the storage box in the passenger side.

but you should be able to access the pse in the trunk, you can send a photo here by using the add file tab

As I asked before, do you think that all the systems that require air pressure like the doors, the consoles, the compartments in the back, the trunk and doors that I can open only with the manual key , as well as the retractable roof . . . are these all interconnected?

yep , the pse controls all of that.

most times there is water in the pse, or the pump fails and the fuse blows.

I will need to email it myself so I can store it in my laptop.

well if you are on a phone there should still be an add file tab i think

when you say that"the fuse box is inside the bottom of the storage box in the passenger side." I must have missed that. You are not talking about the consoles or the compartment in the door. I somehow remember that it was under the glove compartment, but I have not found it.
I know the person from whom I bought the vehicle. He said he spent about $1,700 and the roof was working perfectly. Will go take a photo of the pump assembly
Lou, did you see the 2 photos I uploaded

looking now

that is the hydraulic pump for the top, the pse is UNDER that bracket that the pump is on, you are close, did you see the photos I sent over on how to remove that pump?

I cannot open either of the rear compartments either. As you said if the console will not open the two rear compartments will not open either.

right we are on the same page,

the pse pump is UNDER the bracket of the photo you sent me :)

Should we talk by phone? I can call you or you can call(###) ###-####

we can , but i would not be able to chat for about an hour.

if you have an iphone we can imessage it should be free

I have a Samsung S7 Edge Android. Do you use whatsapp. That will work if I give you my mobile number in Panama
I don't have tools and would need to be with my mechanic to remove the bracket under which we should find the pump. How can I get access to the fuse box if all the compartments are interconnected and require air pressure?
Something Mercedes did not anticipate??
I will need to leave soon and will not be back until late afternoon or early evening.

i did have that app at one time, might still.

ok so , lets access the pump first and then we can access the pump and answer those questions.

no worries, go ahead, we can chat later here.

and if needed do the phone chat.

you can return here at any time.

Lou

When will you be working next? Tomorrow?

all day.............everyday............ lol

right now its 11am in central illinois, i think we are on the same time zone.

If there is a blown fuse and I cannot access the fuse box that will not make a repair easy.

false, we can apply power to the box at the power wire :)

no worries, I am very good at what I do.

there is ALWAYS a way.

No, I am on EST same as NY or Miami. So you are one hour ahead. It is 12:02 here right now
It must be about 1:03 PM in your area
I am with you . . . I erased the word "NO" and "there is no way" from my pea brain long ago!!

no i just told you its 11 am lol

I have SKYPE but we would need to share an invitation in order to be able to talk. my skype name is alanjpratt

actually if you have the spare tire tool kit there is a 13mm wrench in there that you can use to loosen the nuts on the pump bracket.

i know it says skype that is just a premade sentence,

we can use whatever is easier

I believe there is a wrench in with the spare tire

you only need to remove the 4 nuts on the outer edges of each corner of the bracket.

you are correct about the time. You are one hour BEHIN. I have too much going on in my overloaded cranial circuits right now! lol

haha, understood.

Ok perhaps we can pick up tomorrow where left off since we both need to go. You appear to be very knowledgeable so let's hope we can continue to work together. Remember, if we cannot connect with each other you can always call the Florida number anytime with no international charges(###) ###-#### Or my email is***@******.***. You should not attempt to leave a message on the FL line because, despite what the message says, I have not found a way to retrieve messages. whatsapp is free and I use it with friends from around the world. It only works mobile phone to mobile. You can even send attachments. And it is totally free. If need be, we can try that. TBC (to be continued) Alan

I am not allowed to call unless the offer is accepted it is against company policy but yes I will do what I can to help,

I have been working on mercedes since 2000. very good at what i do.

Good morning Lou P. Are you working today so we can continue the issue with my 2003 Designo SL500? There is no wrench in with the spare tire. I believe you said I need a 13mm wrench to remove the four nuts. I will go to the hardware store now to try to find something that will work.

i am on and off today,.

yes,

were you able to access it?

I removed the four nuts and lifted off the top part. Underneath there is a rectangular black plastic box that has a thin slick of what appears to be hydraulic fluid on its sides. Is the PSE pump inside the box? Is the pump repairable? Probably not here. Do you know exactly what part I would need and the best place in the States to buy it?

inside the foam and plastic case is a black pump with yellow lines attached to it, we need to access that pump and unplug the electrical connections, see if there is water inside. or corrosion.

can you send me picture of what you are looking at? we are so close

I will take a photo. I ma need some help to get a photo and try to look inside. I will do it as soon as I can. For how long will you be available online?
Alan

I will be online all day.

Here are 4 photos. You can see on one of them the spots of "hydraulic fluid" on the outside of the black case. There are so many electrical connection holding the both pumps that is is difficult to move the pumps to get better angles for the photos. Each photo is about 4MB. If these are too large to upload I can used another computer that has PhotoShop to resize the images.
20180305_115714.jpg2018030...jpg20180305_115723.jpg2018030...jpg20180305_115733.jpg2018030...jpg20180305_115808.jpg2018030...jpg
It appears that all the photos uploaded.

ok looks good so far, nice job, so unplug the electrical connections at the back of the black pump.

Could both units have failed. Seems unlikely especially since the there were not any issues when it left the seller in Florida.

OK ALAN, is there fluid in the connection? also when you reconnect it see if the pump makes noise and powers on, might make a quick hum.

now the upper pump is for the roof, the lower pump is for the locks and alarm.

Difficult to know about fluid on the connectors. I will try to determine. Any danger of a shock? Also, if the fuse is blown there would be no power. ALSO, you mentioned that the lower pump is for locks and alarm. When the car first arrived the alarm did go off several times. Now there is no alarm and, of course, the electronic keys don't work even though one is new and the battery is good in that if I press a button it activates a tiny blue light on the key that indicates a connection was made.
I have reconnected both PSE connections. No indication of any electrical activity. No hum, or sign of life. ALSO, it appears that the hydraulic fluid is coming from the upper roof pump.
Lou, are you working on another case. I seem to have lost you. At lunch? Let me know when you are available. Alan

no sorry, i am here, had to eat lol

no danger of shock in a car,

ok so lets check a fuse on the inside of the car, unless you have a test light to check power at the pump

sorry i had to leave for a bit.

We cannot check the fuse on the inside of the car because all the compartments are controlled by the pumps. Remember we cannot open the either console or the two rear compartments. The fuse panel I believe is in the compartment behind the passenger seat. No?

right right, sorry, ok so we can open the lids by applying air to the lines, but first, lets see if we have power at the pump

i will get you the wire color.

The fact that the pump that controls the roof is apparently leaking hydraulic fluid makes me wonder if that is the culprit. Remember the alarm worked when the car first arrived (every time I opened a door.) You said that the PSE (lower pump) controls the alarm and doors.

well it should not leak, i wonder if someone spilled fluid attempting to fill it.

the red wire with white stripe is the power for the pump, use a test light and see if there is powr on that wire.

it will be in the bigger connection of the pse pump. not the smaller one.

the "operative words" are "should not leak." Anything can leak including a roof or a pump!

lol, you got me there,

but its not important at this point.

I do not have a test light. Maybe I will need to make an appointment with a local technician?!

ah, yes that would be best.

they need to test that wire for power, if no power, apply power and the locks should work.

then you can get the car going.

Only to determine if there is power to the red wire with the white stripe

yes,

if you do not have the tools or dont know how this can take a very long time.

if applying power does not work then the pump will need changed.

I can drive the car with no problem. It is just that I cannot operate the roof, open the console or compartments, I can use only a manual key to open the driver-side door and the trunk.

right, i remember the scenario,

if the pump is not operational the top will not work because the signals from the trunk are not getting to the proper module .

What are the realistic options at this point? Replace both pump assemblies? If I can find the correct parts . . .moan!
Any chance of repairing a pump locally? Does not seem likely . . .

i know I am not there near the car to see what you are seeing,

i can not suggest replacing the pump either of them just yet,

need to see what happens when you apply power.

as far as repairing, not likely.

If there is no power to the red wire with white stripe what then? The both batteries are new. I replaced them both before importing the vehicle.

oh my, i want to help, but i cannot keep typing the same stuff over and over.

if there is NO power on the wire, you need to apply power to the wire and see if the pump then works.

if it does not then you need to replace the pse pump

I will try to get an appointment for tomorrow or Wednesday. Then can we pick up on the case. If you would like to speak on the phone, I can authorize the$26 one-time fee. I can either call you or you can call my number in Florida (no international charges) Let me know.

i thought we would have talked on the phone already, now there is nothing more to say lol

OK let me see what I can do. Can we leave the case open for a few days? Other than a company called X-PORT, INC that specializes in Mercedes parts do you have any sources. I appreciate your patience and expertise.
I am not sure that talking before now without the photos would have gotten us any further faster.

the case will be opened forever, they never close.

but i am not paid until you rate me positive.

as far as parts, no, i only recommend oem mercedes. or used mercedes.

i dont know if anyone aftermarket makes these. i have never had luck with aftermarket mercedes parts.

I agree with you regarding only using OEM Mercedes parts new if possible or used if in good condition. I will certainly rate you well. You are not a magician so I do not expect a miracle!

lol, appreciate it, I am 99.9999999999999999% successful.

just need to stay on the same page.

:)

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician