Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My mercedes 2001 CLK 430 battery is dead and I can't open…

Customer Question
My mercedes 2001 CLK...

My mercedes 2001 CLK 430 battery is dead and I can't open the trunk to get to the battery to jump it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I left the lights on all nite.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 430 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well it says U CAN JUMP IT FROM UNDER THE HOOD BUT i DON'T SEE THE PLACE TO CONNECT CABLE TOO

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

U SUPPOSE TO BE ABLE TO STILL OPEN THE TRUNK EVEN IF BATTERY IS DEAD. I TRIED THE DOOR KEY BUT COULDN'T GET IT TO UNLOCK TRUNK

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mercedes
2/6/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 5 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What happens is the trunk cylinder is not used very often so it builds up corrosion in it.What needs to be done is to spray a small amount of lubricant into the cylinder and work the key in the cylinder to then get it to turn to open the trunk.I have had to do this several times before in the past.Once opened then the battery can be jump started.If your model has jump start points under the hood you would have a cap over it with a positive plus sign on top of the cap or a red cap that pulls off to get to it.But usually on this model here since you can access the trunk with the key they won't put jump start points under the hood.You will have to work the key in the cylinder with a lubricant sprayed into the cylinder to then get it to turn and release and open.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete