Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 GL350 Bluetec won’t start. Have xentry/das machine.

2011 GL350 Bluetec won’t...

2011 GL350 Bluetec won’t start. Have xentry/das machine. Showing code 900516, amongst others. Replaced battery after no-start condition started (coincided with extreme cold).

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '11 Mercedes?

GL350

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Read the thing I already typed

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Tried clearing 900516 code. No change. Starter cranks, but no firing.

1/23/2018
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Charles can you send me screen shots of the codes and the description? i can run a simulator on the sds that i have but it would take a longer time than if you send me the codes and descriptions, there is an add file tab near the reply tab,

Lou

you can do a quick test with the sds and then press f8 to expand all the modules and fault codes, it is faster than going into each module 1 by one.

Lou

I will do the f8 trick

ok, so relay circuit 87 is in the front fuse box ,

we need to determine if the front fuse box has power.

that fuse box has multiple issues with burning internally and also with the underside connections and failed relays.

that code is telling you the location.

pull up the relays and you will see a letter on the fuse block under the relay.

that relay is relay d

also here is a chart..

Lou

I will be on some of the night but back in the am, so no worries i will always reply i just might not be at my computer to get the diagrams and workshop info.

also if your scanner has teamview i can remote in and help diagnose.

Lou

oh and also ,

always want to know if the fuel pump is coming on and if you are getting pressure up at the fuel filter.

i so far the code i for the engine relay, but its always good to check .

lots of fuel pump issues as well.

Lou

Yep, it has teamviewer. I’ll be back by the car in about 45 min—too late?
No ill be up for a bit .
See if anything we can get a game plan for the am
Can I email you a pdf of test codes, or just post it here?
Ok I think this will work.
There is power to the fuse box in the engine compartment—checked with test light. I’ll be back by the car at about 4 pm eastern, after work.
Looking over info now
Ok ignition switch is not liked by many. Undervoltage happened at one or more times. Communication was not happening hence the data bus codes in many modules. Tomorrow i want you to remove circuit 87 relay . Jump a wire across 30-87 and then see if the car starts and runs.
OK--need a little more basic guidance. Terminal 30 to the relay marked D in the diagram? Which is terminal 30, and to which slot on where the relay plugs in? I will be back by the car about 4 pm EST and will do that then. Really appreciate the help.
Ok so i sent the diagram over for the relay positions. Pull up the relay and look on the bottom of it near the terminals and you will see the numbers 30 85 86 87 and maybe 87a
We need to jump a wire from 30-87 on the fuse box where those specific terminals plug into. That will jump power from 30 ( battery power) to 87(consumer which in this case is powering up the engine module) . Hope this is clear . Let me know :)
Lou
Got it--that's clear, thanks. I'll make sure 30 has power (test light), and then jump those two with a wire. I'll do that when I get home and will let you know what happens.

ok good deal, then if all is well we need to see if we get power across 85-86 when the ignition key is turned on,

we should as that comes from the engine module with the ignition on.

if not then we either have a wiring issue or failed relay, i also have another customer with the exact same issue , i have not heard back from him yet though.

so this will be interesting if we have 2 of the same problem lol.

Lou

Do you know where the fuel rail port is to hook on the pressure tester?
I wonder if I should just pull the fuel filter and replace. It was cold—thoughts? Any way to tell from here if it’s not just full of gelled fuel?
There is no fuel rail you have to take align loose from the fuel filter
Sorry voice to text is not working well
There is no test port you have to test it from a rubber hose near the fuel filter
Does this have an electric fuel pump that comes on when you turn on the ignition? There is no fuel moving in or out of the filter with the lines open.
My pressure tester will only screw into a port. I had to get real shade tree here To see if there is any fuel moving.
Correct there is an in tank pump that should supply pressure with the KEY on and cranking
do I maybe need a pump? Any way to confirm with sds?
Is the battery on the charger
Notice your circuit 87 voltage is very low
Did you put that relay back in
The scanner will only run the fuel pump while the engine is running unfortunately the best test is to jump the fuel pump relay in the rear fuse box
Ok. I’m not the pro, here. What do you think should be next?
OK if you have no fuel pressure I suggest two things first make sure the battery has charge either with a charger or whatever you have van access the fuel pump relay in the rear and jump the terminals the same as you did in the front to see if the fuel pump kicks on so you know that it works
Roger. Which is the pump relay, and which terminals?
I’m away from the car for dinner, BTW. Will get back to it shortly.
Me too perfect timing
https://www.mediafire.com/download/dct7icid294u8d6
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
O is the fuel pump relay—what pins?
IT IS ALIVE
There may be a bad relay for the fuel pump. All I did was remove it and put it back—there was then fuel streaming from the unconnected fuel line. Hooked that back up, and she started immediately.
I would like to know what terminals for the pump relay to jump, though. Just in case it poops out before I can get a spare relay.
You rock, by the way. I’m really pleased.

sorry!!

didnt realize you replied, site is a little screwy after the question is rated, are you still needing help????

awesome!!!!!!

on any relay terminals 3 and 5 or 87 and 30 are the ones you need to jump across.

relays are labeled both ways sometimes.

awesome man!!

canot believe i did not see these messages.

Lou

No worries at all. 200+ miles on it since I got it started. Replaced the fuel pump relay with a new one from the dealer. You don’t get paid enough. Again, thanks for the help.

awesome Charles.

save me as a favorite, request me with anything my friend,

glad I can help.

until next time, Lou

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician