Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Dash board lights up but ignition wont' engage 2005 CLK 320.

Second opinion] dash board...

Second opinion] dash board lights up but ignition wont' engage 2005 CLK 320

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Fuses are OK

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Mercedes?

CLK 320 cabriolet

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I believe it is the starter relay because, while testing an unrelated thing, I removed all of the relays in the motor compartment - one a time. After that car wouldn't start. I may have blown the starter relay, but I don't know which on it is. Maybe it is "M"

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2018
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is Marty.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Hey Marty, have you had a chance to review my messages to the previous expert?
Phone call session started

Reviewing it now.

Ok, I just read through the previous chat.

Is it possible for you to send me a picture of your fuse box under the hood so I can see if anything looks out of place?

The phone call is an extra $26. I can call you but let's go over a few things here first. We may not need the phone call.

Are you still with me?

We seem to have lost contact. I would like you to make sure that all of the relays are in their correct spots in the relay box. Click on the attachment below. Also make sure that fuse 52 is good.

If all relays are in the correct spot try swapping relay S with relay I.

all relays have been tested and replaced in their correct position.

Ok, can you test fuse 52 for voltage when the key is turned to the start position?

All three fuses associated with the starter have been test, and they are all good.

I need to know if there is voltage going to the fuse when you turn the key to start. You need to connect your black voltmeter lead to ground and probe the small contact on the top of the fuse with your red lead while a helper turns the key to the start position.

Also, the “S” relay has been tested, and it is good.
Test electricity goes mg to fuse #52?

Yes, I need to know if fuse 52 gets 12V when the key is turned to the start position.

I’ll do that tomorrow. If + electricity, then what? If no electricity, then what?

If you have 12V you simply have a bad starter. If you don't have 12V we've got some more testing to do. I'll be online at about 11 AM EST.

I have a 12V

If you have 12V to the fuse, first I would replace the fuse. If the starter still doesn't crank you have a bad starter.

Try a jump start. The extra voltage might get the starter cranking.

Thanks; I’ll check back with you by noon tomorrow. Goo night.

Good night.

Marty, R U there?

Hi, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I am online for a few hours.

Just checking in. Have you made any progress?