Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I had an faulty code saying, "constant adjustment of intake…

Hello again, I had an...
Hello again, I had an faulty code saying, "constant adjustment of intake camshaft of right cylinder bank in direction 'Retartded" (P0016). I don't know how long this code popped up, but the symptoms I have felt is when I try to accelerate the car, esp. above 60 miles, I can feel vibrations from the bottom through the brake and acc padal. and I feel the acceleration is not as much as before. If I try to abruptly speed up the car like from 60 to 80 to 90, the check engine lamp pops up. When I erased this code once and dropped my car to a nearby MB dealer service center, they scanned my car and it's OK.
I am so worried about it and am going to leave my car if the repair cost would come too much like several K dollars.
Help me what I am supposed to do. It seems that If I drive it softly, I can drive it as long as I 'd like to drive, but I am uneasy with the symptoms of my car.
Thanks, Ulsoo* my car is 2008 R350 4matic. it's about 100,000miles.
1/21/2018
Pete, Mechanic

Sorry to tell you this but this is a common problem with this engine. It has flaw with the internal balance shaft gear. The metal is to soft and the gear wears out prematurely. Mercedes had a class action suit aganst them, but the judge went in their favor because the problem only shows up after 50,000 miles. I have repaired a few of these and it costs about $5000.

Thank you for your valued opinion on my car to my sadness! Curious you are working at a dealer service center or running your own indy shop? I mean $5000 is at the dealer MB center or at an indy? Also curious the symptoms are consistent with the worn out shaft gears? if so, I am wondering how long could I drive this car without repair or when should I drop my car off to the service center. Thanks!

I work for an indy shop. The last one I did, cost this much, because as the gear wears down, the metal shavings of the gear get scattered throughout the engine and cause other components to wear out. And to answer your question yes you will get acceleration and vibration problems from this issue. To continue to run the engine in this condition is going to cause more damage.

Thanks for your great answer! So it would be good for me to get my car away as soon as possible or get it done fixed. Thanks, ***** ***** am clear what I should do. It seems there are no expert reliable around here sadly. have a good weekend. Ulsoo

Good luck with it.

Hi just one more question! I have an extended warranty covered by Ford as a premiumcare, and wonder if it could be covered by it. Should the car come to a stop on the road or somewhere and towed to a shop, then the warranty covers it? Ulsoo

It is worth a try but don't wait for it to fail or they might say,You should have brought it in sooner. All the warranty companies will try to get out of doing any kind of expensive repairs. So call them and see what is covered. This is a common problem and they might try to get out of doing it. I did one a couple of years ago, the customer had an extended warranty, and they paid but there was a lot of back and forth. They wanted all of the oil change records, so be prepaired before you call them.

Pete, Mechanic
Thanks for your perfect consultation! have a good weekend, Ulsoo

Good luck with your car.