Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Dash board lights up but ignition wont' engage 2005 CLK 320,

Dash board lights up...

Dash board lights up but ignition wont' engage 2005 CLK 320

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Fuses are OK

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Mercedes?

CLK 320 cabriolet

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I believe it is the starter relay because, while testing an unrelated thing, I removed all of the relays in the motor compartment - one a time. After that car wouldn't start. I may have blown the starter relay, but I don't know which on it is. Maybe it is "M"

The problem started when I removed (one at a time) all of the relays on the driver's side of the engine bay.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I replaced them one at a time. I had done that because I was looking for a relay for the blinkers. apparently there is no relay for blinkers.
1/21/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

your starter relay is in the Relay Assignment of Fuse and Relay Box in Left Engine Compartment

check you have it in place ,CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW FUSE BOX LSY OUT AND RELAY LOCATION

Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

OK, I remove the starter relay, and check to see if it is good.
I will check it tomorrow before noon. Talk to you then. Thank you.
Chad,
When changing relays, does the battery need to be disconnected?

no it should not be disconnected

check relay tomorrow,pull it out make sure pins not bent or making poor connection ,if all was working prior i do not see u harming anything when you pulled relay out unless the ignition switch was on ,could have blown fuses

tomorrow check with a test light the fuse just in case

read below how to get back in touch with me and we work on it

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Please note the following:
1) the ignition problem is present with main key and spare key
2) All three fuses associated with the starter were check with an electric meter, and they are good
3) Both turn indicators and caution lights are now working.
The ignition problem started when I was trying to fix the driver's turn indicator. I incorrectly assumed that there must be a relay for the turn indicator in the fuse box (engine bay). So, I removed one relay at a time, replacing them immediately, while the battery was connected. It was after this that my ignition failed to work. I assumed that playing with the relays while the batter was connected wasn't the thing to do. Please advise.
I thought the expert was still available for this online conversation ... where is he?
I don't understand why the expert was available for online service but didn't have the time to call me. If I don't get a response within 15 minutes, you can count me as an unsatisfied customer, and I'll instruct my credit card to nullify any monies that you charged me.

your last reply and I quote you (I will check it tomorrow before noon. Talk to you then. Thank you.)

my last reply to you ( 'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician)

I m not on here all the time but most of the time

Your Negative Rating is Unfair and Not Justified ,

when you decided to rerate me let me know and we continue , very unreasonable on your part sir

Phone call session started
OK; I missed your emails. (1) Starter relay is good; (2) # 52 fuse had current when ignition turned on; (3) the battery was check - it was good, and fully charged. So, I figure the problem is with the solenoid or starter. Please advise via text to my cell:(###) ###-####

HI

I would agree with you ,if these were the checks done than I suggest pulling the starter out and bench test it , most likely you need another one

I m glad you got the email finally , no worries :0

I can send you the starter removal on it , be easier here ,since it will be pdf file ,and you can follow step by step

you will always get an email when i reply back to you if you are not logged in at the website butyou always can reply back to me from the email

CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW PDF FILE ON STARTER REMOVAL

PLEASE RE-RATE ME FROM THE NEGATIVE 1 STAR TO 3 STAR OR ABOVE , IF YOU ARE SATISFIED ,I WOULD APPRECIATE THAT SINCE IT WILL EFFECT MY RATING BADLY WITH ONE STAR NEGATIVE

THE PHONE CALL I BE HAPPY TO DO IT BUT WILL COST YOU MORE MONEY IF YOU THINK IT IS NECESSARY LET ME KNOW AND I CAN SEND YOU A REQUEST

BUT HERE I CAN SEND WIRING DIAGRAM ,LOCATION PARTS, PIN OUT ETC .

JUTS LET ME KNOW

CHAD

Chad,(1) When I turn the ignition on, the instrument cluster lights up yet, I do not hear any "clicking sound" coming from the solenoid. If there was a sound coming from the solenoid, wouldn't that mean that it is not communicating with the starter? Could the solenoid be defective? (2) Also, is there a way to check to see if the problem is with the "alarm starter disable system"?Please let me know how I can re-rate you./efrain

if no sound from solenoid and there is power to it then solenoid is bad yes

the alarm system on this car you will need Mercedes Star Scanner or equivalent to read it fault and based on them we can pull up a pin point troubleshoot and be accurate

if you get the faults you can post them back here, cause if there was issue with it , it will not let power to solenoid so that is important

alarm system has a lot component , hood switch, trunk, door, ,door lock actuator , rf signal receiver etc

Sure PLEASE DO TO RE-RATE ME

YOU SHOULD BE ON YOUR SCREEN TO BE ABLE TO RERATE ME from 1 star to higher .

THANK YOU

Chad Farhat
Chad,
Either the Solenoid is bad, or (I have a strong feeling) something happened to a component of the alarm system when I was testing the relays in the fuse box (driver's side - engine bay) a few days ago - that is when the problem started.Well, I guess I'll have it towed the dealer.Thanks for your help.
/ef

I think be best and you are not guessing

Good luck with it

thank you again for rerating me