Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Gl450 liftgate will not open. Just replaced the latch. :-(

Gl450 liftgate will not...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2014 GL450

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I removed the lower panel and replaced the latch. Still no worky!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I checked every fuse, all are good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes, under middle seat and under the hood.

1/21/2018
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
Can you clarify for me, does the latch unlock but the tailgate does not raise? Or does the latch not unlock at all when closed ? Thanks , Lou
It does not appear to unlock. The only way I can open it is by using a small screwdriver and inserting it into a small slot from the inside.
I do have better than average technical ability. I have removed the panels from the lift gate and switched out the latch. Did not fix the problem. I also tested each fuse and all are good.
I can hear electrical power going to the latch, but it does not appear to be retracting the locking mechanism which is prohibiting it from opening.
Sorry my app is not refreshing ! I just got all your reaponses i am looking over them now
Ok what happens if you open the tailgate, close the latch by hand and then use the switch to pop it? Does it work or no?
No, it does not work after manually opening it.
Ok, can you give me your vinv i will check wiring and bulletins for this issue. Sounds like the liftgate module failed to me so far.
4JGDF7CEXEA340625
Ok thanks, ***** ***** a little time if thats ok, ill get back to you very soon with some more info . Lou

ok here you go, looks like software is gonna get you fixed up.

here are some bulletins that we have in the system.

the best bet is to have the dealer check the software of the liftgate control unit.

hope this helps.

fyi the warranty is 4 years 50 k miles so you should still be in warranty depending on miles and when the car first went into service.

hope this helps.

Lou

Please take a second and click the STARS at the top of the screen to rate my service 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful , rating is just as important to me as your issue is to you. Please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again ,
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech

ps

i sent you all the bulletins we had

i believe that the one that fits your scenario is the bulletin that states does not unlock.

hope this helps.

Lou

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician