Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I opened the car last night and had to roll it back to get…

Customer Question
Hey mate I opened the...
Hey mate I opened the car last night and had to roll it back to get my bike out, I didn’t want to start it cause it’s so loud so I used the emergency shift lock and put it in nuetrul and rolled back then put back in park and locked it up. Come out in the morning and now it’s coming up with key undetected and won’t start. Can u help?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
1/20/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 7 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Ok mate thank you

ok, did you try to start the car with the key in the ignition switch?

Yeh but nothing comes up

oh ok,

did you make sure the battery is ok?

The only thing on the dash that comes up is the odometer and every now n then it says key not detected then after a few seconds the dash goes off completely till I open the door
Yeh the battery is good I tested it on a volt meter and its 12.4 roughly

ok, does the car lock and unlock with the key?

how many keys do you have lets try another if you do.

Only have the 1 key and yes locks and unlocks

ok so the locking and unlocking go through the ignition switch so it knows its the right authorization code.

i think last night and right now are different instances.

your car has huge issues with the ignition switch and the electronic steering lock.

i cannot remember if your amg model has a electronic shifter

do you have the little electronic nub in the center console?

when you put the key into the ignition does the steering wheel make the zip noise and unlock? and when you remove the key does the steering wheel lock relock?

The steering lock is not on so can turn the wheel fine

with the key out?

if it does it with the key out then you definitely have an issue with the electronic steering lock,

it will need to be replaced at a dealer.

its part of the antitheft system.

it is a coincidence , but those are extremely problematic in your year model.

hope this helps.

Lou

with the key out and no there is no code in the center consol

yep the issue is the electronic steering lock module.

you can find videos on how people repair these on youtube, i have never done the repair but i have replace them,

hope this helps.

Lou

Please take a second and click the STARS at the top of the screen to rate my service 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful , rating is just as important to me as your issue is to you. Please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again ,
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech

I have to go for the night,

if there is anything else you need please let me know,

but i am very confident this is your issue

Lou