Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I want to upgrade a 1985 G wagon into a G 4x4 squared, I was…

I want to upgrade...

I want to upgrade a 1985 G wagon into a G 4x4 squared,

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '85 Mercedes?

I was wondering if it’s possible

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I want to do it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I want to transplant a bigger engine aswell

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Its an automatic, with 130,000kms

1/19/2018
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hi, can you be more specific about what exactly you are looking to do? convert a 1985 g wagon into a 4x4 sq?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Steve,
I plan to lift the suspension, upgrade the brakes, fit a bigger engine... I’m not sure if the old chassis will take an AMG motor, but if it can that’s great.
The easy choice is to put a 500GE engine, since the one I bought is a 280GE. Some friends have advised me to fit a Chevy 350, but I don’t like the idea of having a Chevy heart in a Merc.

hi - I am still not clear on what your question is here? What did you want to know?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Steve,
I just bought a 1985 280GE. I realized the truck needs some power. I go off-roading, and through sand dunes.
I wanted to know if I could fit a newer model AMG engine (55 or 63, depending on what I find in the market) into the older chassis of the 1985.
If so, what mods or changes do I have to do to make it happen?
If not, What would be the best option for a bigger engine if I’m doing a transplant?
Are there bolt-on lift kits that will lift the truck 4-8 inches?
I have been looking online for options and everything is for the newer models, will those fit on the older chassis?
Sorry if it’s not enough information.
Thank you and kind regards,
Ahmed
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
Looking over your info I feel that none of us here on the site have ever experienced this type of modification that is why not many are reaponding. We only had the G wagon here in the states since 2002 or so, I know the chassis hasnt changed in forever but what you are asking is not something that we have heard of or done so I do not think we can advise . I wanted to touch base with you because we do trh to help all customers and if there is a question that is out of the ordinary we leave it for the right expert to come along, since no one has responded tells me that this is not something that we can help with. However i can tell you that trying to install a newer engine into the car is not that easy. Our computer systems require a lot of modules to work in sync so you cannot just drop and engine in you would have to get a complete engine and trans and wiring and ignition and traction systen, the list goes on and on. If there is something else we can try and help with please let us know but for this i dont think we will be of benefit. Hope this information helps , Lou
Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may receive my credit for helping, 5 STARS is ideal. Please request me in the future! Keep in mind that when you rate it does NOT end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, THANKS! Lou P Master Mercedes-Benz Tech Master ASE Certified
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dear Lou,
Thank you very much for your response, I really appreciate the detail in your answer.
I understand that it’s difficult, but I was wondering if it’s been done before.
Would I be able to bypass all the sensors from the computer or is it impossible?
The lift is possible I assume... but do you know if I can find bolt on 4”-8” suspension lift kits for it?
I know that the 1985 chassis is a little different, as Mercedes did some mods... do you know if there are some parts that are still similar?
I know I can fit a the 500 engine with a change of engine mounts. I just need to cut the old mount off the chassis, buy some parts from Mercedes and weld them on.
Thanks again Lou. I really do appreciate the honesty and any advice is of great value to my project.
I hope to build a G-Wagon monster truck.
Could send you a pic of the build once it’s done, if you’re interested.
I would love to see current pics and finished pics for sure! You cannot bypass sensors or modules that i am aware of . These are all needed for proper function. Not saying that someone out there isnt smart enough to figure it out but its out of the realm of knowledge and experience . If anything going with the M113 engine would be the easiest in my mind. Hope this information helps , this sounds like a cool project, if you do attempt it , photo everything and document everything as you would be very popular on the web with this type of project for sure !
Lou
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician