Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I own a 2012 Mercedes C250. I have a service light on but…

I own a 2012...

I own a 2012 Mercedes C250. I have a service light on but can not get a scanner to scan it because my OBDII port doesn't power up any scanner.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

Read my script

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your C250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Scanning with different scanners. Same problem. Checked the OBDII port for 12 volts. No power detected.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I will place a $5 fully-refundable deposit now.

1/19/2018
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** you post the last 8 digits of your vin number for me?

CR216836, and the engine sounds like a diesel for about 3 seconds most of the time when you crank it. It was when it started this rattling noise that the service engine light came on.

Ok, it sounds like you have some valve timing problems with the clatter on startup. Possibly a worn timing chain or chain tensioner or a noisy camshaft adjuster. Fuse 73 in the rear fuse box powers the data link connector. Check that fuse and see if it is blown.

Let me know what you find.

I have check every fuse (under the hood and in the trunk) with a 12 volt test light. There are no bad fuses, anywhere.
Okay. I will check fuse 73. What else is weird, is that the rattling sound doesn't happen all the time, only about 2/3 of the time. The engine has all of the service records, has been well maintained, and has only 80K miles on it.
It is late here. I will check the fuse and get back to you tomorrow. Thanks.

Ok, I'll be here if you need anything.

Okay, got a code P0340.

A P0340 is usually going to be caused by a faulty intake camshaft adjuster or timing chain tensioner. I usually replace the adjuster, chain and tensioner for this code.

The chain sounds like a major job. The car has 80,000 miles on it. The other components sound like a minor job. Am I right?

I break the chain and wind it in. Neither repair is all that difficult but you will need the tools to break the chain and rivet it back together.

Should I dismiss the possibility of a faulty sensor or bad circuit?

Yes, it's not a sensor fault.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please remember to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for helping you.

Will I require a special tool to hold the cams or can I work around that?

You're going to need the holding tool.

Just checking in. Do you need any more help with this question?

I think not. I just have to get in there and do this thing. I work during the week and can work on my car only on weekends. Thanks.

Ok, I will be here if you need anything. Just let me know.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician