Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Is this a million mile machine, figuring reasonable

maintenance? Obviously, there is a...
Is this a million mile machine, figuring reasonable maintenance? Obviously, there is a point of no return where it is no longer economical to maintain it. Just curious, since you know these inside out!
1/18/2018
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hmmm, In my 40 plus years of working on Mercedes I have never seen one with over 600,000 miles. I am completely confident that the car could go a million miles though. Changing the fluids before they break down is the key to long life in my opinion. Waiting until the fluids look bad is waiting too long. If I was going to maintain a car to last a million miles I would replace the oil and filter every 5000 miles, transmission fluid and filter every 30,000 miles, differential fluid every 50,000 miles, coolant every 5 years and power steering fluid every 30,000 miles. Brake fluid I would change every 2 years. I'd replace the air filters every 15,000 miles and the fuel filter every 30,000 miles. Spark plugs every 30,000 miles. These are old school maintenance intervals. If you maintain the car in this manner it will last forever. Garage kept and avoiding snow and salt roads is another key to long life.

I see. Vwery Interesting! Sooo, even with the fancy synthetics, change the oil every 5K miles?Of course, I'll be long gone at a million miles given my current annual mileage :):), but I was curious. While on the topic, we do have some bus drivers here in Massachusetts who have driven 4+ million miles, and are in the record books!Also, while visiting Singapore, I saw taxis (non-MB) with over 500K miles, on an island that is no more than 40 miles long. Naturally, I was curious, and wanted find out their magic potion/method, but no one could tell me. They are not plugged into the maintenance aspect, and didn't know. Obviously, if major work had to be done (like engine replacement), it wouldn't be as interesting to me ..
The intervals are definitely a little overkill given the new synthetic oil‘s but I don’t think even the synthetic oils are designed with a million miles in mind.
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Got it! Thanks for enlightening me!
I am not saying that you should change the oil on your new Mercedes every 5000 miles if you only expect to put let’s say 150,000 miles on the car. The intervals I am recommending would be what I would do to get a car to 1,000,000 miles. For your new car I would adhere to the recommended maintenance schedule.
No problem. I can see where you are coming from... Years ago, I was also reading that one should brake, rather than downshift to get engine braking (other than in an emergency, or in snow for even braking), since it is cheaper to replace worn pads/rotors, vs changing the tranny!
Exactly! The point I was trying to make is that lubricated components fail due to their lubrication. If you keep the fluids in like new condition the component will last forever.
I replace the tranny fluid in my Hondas (that need to be drained an filled three times - no flushing - to get rid of the old ATF by dilution) every other year or sooner, depending on the time I have :) Unfortunately, I found out the the location of the tranny drain plug after 100K miles, so it was getting a change only every 60K miles before that.The PS fluid gets change every year, since it is so easy, and takes just 10 minutes to do...I might redeem myself with the MB, however :)

A good time to start :-)

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician