Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 87 Mercedes 560SL that needed a starter (as I was…

I have an 87...

I have an 87 Mercedes 560SL that needed a starter (as I was told) because of the car's inability to hold a charge. Now the shop said charge for the starter work is $1000

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

Just click...2 other times it was in they couldn't find cause of draw

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 560SL yourself? What have you tried so far?

No it is at a place in Delray Beach FL German Auto World

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We spent $5k recently to fix air conditioner and they could not fix the antenna

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I was told cost on the phone and was ready to pick it up. My wife and are getting the car before she goes to airport, hence I need to do the phone I believe you have my #(###) ###-####
1/17/2018
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I show the cost of the starter around $200 ( after market but could be as high as $400 from a dealer) and 3.4 hours labor to replace it.If they added in diagnosis of an hour this should have cost around $700 to $800 max with an after market starter or around $1000 with a factory starter replacement.

Are you needing to jump start the vehicle every time you start it?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Do u have my phone # ? I need to use the phone now, due to very limited time. Yes needs jump every time. Had it in that shop 3x
Phone call session started

Here is the labor cost I show for starter replacement:

Labor Information Standard

Replace

Starter, R&R Or Renew 3.4 hours.

Here is a link to a web site that sells the Bosch replacment starter for under $200

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/MC/6313-07100523.html?utm_content=MC&utm_term=1986-1987+Mercedes+560SL+Starter+Bosch+SR59X+86-87+Mercedes+Starter&fp=pp&gbm=a&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-aTFssvf2AIVUWB-Ch1FaQjNEAQYASABEgIykPD_BwE&ad=47433948732

Thanks Pete