Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2011 Mercedes Sprinter 3.0l that will not reach the…

I have a 2011 Mercedes...
I have a 2011 Mercedes Sprinter 3.0l that will not reach the correct exhaust system temp for DPF regeneration?
1/17/2018
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Was a scan test performed?

Is the check engine light on ? if so what faults are stored?

I do need a vin # of the vehicle to get the factory info to assist!!

Thanks

Check engine light was not on. I am trying to perform a manual regeneration and can not get the exhaust temp above 52.9 deg f. vin # wd3pe7cc0b5593955

The only way to over ride the regen process is to have a Xentry scan tool .

the regen process is done while the vehicle is traveling over 55 mph.

Do you have that scan tool?

I have a snap on solus ultra . I was able to manually regen in the fall last year , now i can't seem to get the exhaust temp up high enough ?

i wonder there is a lockout right now . if you drive it does the exhaust temp go up?

which temp sensor will not go up #1,2,or 3?

Didn't try to drive it yet, upstream particulate filter temp sensor needs to reach 379 deg F, that's the one only making to 50 deg F .I'm thinking number 2 if # 1 is in the exhaust manifold on the right front of the engine.i'm going for a drive now. What did you mean by "lockout "?
How many temp sensors are there? I can't see the sensor in the particulate filter.?
Temp. sensor reads the same after test drive. 50 deg F , Would you have the location for the upstream temp sensor ?
After the test drive, the van began to hold back check engine light came on wouldn't go above 30mph. Codes are : 11A700 , 13AF00 -
soot content for particulate filter is too high for regeneration. can I change the soot counter in the adaptive memory? do a reset as if I just replaced the particulate filter?

no you cannot rest the counter.

factory scan tool is needed connected to MB server to reset but if its too full just lying to reset the issue will come back and its a potential fire hazzard where the dpf can cause an engine fire!!

It needs to be replaced or repaired correctly!

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING!!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

I just cleared the particulate soot counter in the ECU the soot grams reads 000.0 the temp on the b19/9 sensor id the problem it only reads 89 deg f the other two sensors are climbing as the van runs? i took a snap shot of the scanner page with the soot number and sensor readings can i upload it to you ?

so you have just lied to it correct ?

i have, I just can't figure out why the upstream temp sensor will not read the same or similar as the other 2.

the last temp sensor of the dpf takes a long long time to get to temp !! Factory scan tool runs the rpm to 2500 and then the injection of fuel changes to heat the dpf to do its cleaning / regen .

then that temp will go up !!! its possible that the sensor may be skewed and not reading correctly . freeway driving for at least 1/2 hr at 60 mph while monitoring to verify.

once again you have lied and reset the counter and now shows 10g and i bet it will rise quickly due to the fact its too much loaded and clogged .

Am I just hoping I can do a regeneration and attempt to clean the filter before it notices the soot? I will try and remove the temp sensor tomorrow and clean it or replace it, just doesn't seem to make sense to me that 2 sensors in the same exhaust system can be reading that much different than the 3rd in the system.

especially the 3rd sensor is used for dpf regen efficiency only. with it reading low and if after driving the vehicle that means the dpf is not doing its normal regen because its too plugged up

the temp sensor isn't getting to correct temp due to soot content of DPF? OK got it do you know if DPF can be changed seperatly or is it part of the converter?

the dpf is the assembly from the turbo to the flex pipe underneath. After that is the SCR after treatment converter and that is separate from the dpf

Hey Wolfgang, Sorry about the delay I had to find information/diagram on location of DPF B19/9 temp sensor , just didn't make any sense that low reading .I thought either the sensor was bad or something else , turns out the last shop that had the truck never put the sensor back in the filter i fjust couldn't see it tucked up along side the transmission wiring harness. Once i found a diagram of the particulate filter it all became clear to me , regeneration is now working and i hope that will solve this problem , seemed too early for a particulate filter failure ? i just didn't now enough about the location of the sensors to spot it .
Nice. !!!
anything else?
if not.....
I try to be online 365 days a year.
Thanks and my pleasure!
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician